We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

South Pole
reviews: 39
So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

yesterday looked at a multi city fare with UA. came to around $600.

today went back to check/book and it had increased to $900 (same dates/same flights)

immediately went back in with a change of browser from IE 9 to firefox, same itinerary back to around $600.

South Pole
1. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

just ran a scan and cleared all my cookies on IE9....fares back to around $600 there too now.

2. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:01 am, January 23, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

Hmmm ... Ouch!

Lien, details of the itinerary would be useful. I may play with a couple of dummy bookings myself. Also, assuming you were doing this on united.bomb, were you logged into your MileagePlus account?

Could be one to post and enrage the FlyerTalkers. :)

Melbourne
reviews: 1
4. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

I've seen this on Air NZ as well when doing lots of searches.

South Pole
5. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

just a general enquiry...not logged in.

on the united au site.

las-fsd-lax out 15/9 in 14/10

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
6. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

Most airlines store your most recent search in a cookie on your browser (United places 25 different cookies after a single visit with a fare search). Most of the online booking services do the same (ever noticed how Expedia ads often mention the last city you searched for?).

It is kind of sleezy though if UA is using the cookie to cause a higher fare to be displayed on a return visit. Most business might try to tempt you with a discount if you keep looking but not buying.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
7. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

I've seen this a few times on various airlines. Waiting until the next day can also see prices go down.

I also posted about this a while ago when searching form KLM flights.

8. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:01 am, January 23, 2013
London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

I can't see the logic behind this. If the fare that tempted you in is 600, why show 900 on the return? It's simply going to make you go elsewhere and look again, no?

Personally, I believe this is due to the number of seats available in specific fare buckets at any given time,, when you look on line, and lower class fares becoming available again.

To me this is a much more believable theory than it's a mad conspiracy to show you a higher price on your return visit.

Even if you google search this, it's known as one of the modern day urban myths for the airline industry, and is clearly explained as my explanation.

It's a personal choice, believe its a consipiracy and they are doing this on purpose, or believe its due to seats available in a specific fare bucket at any given time. Personal choice.

South Pole
10. Re: So they say airlines dont monitor your web fare enquiries

sorry froggy.....fare buckets dont increase on flights to a small regional airport, 8 months in advance and back again over a few minutes.