We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

This is why I hate aisle seats ... brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/travel-incidents…

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

i always select an aisle seat.

having to get up is part of the deal for not feeling hemmed in.

being woken up, trodden on, tapped on the shoulder (school teacher like) on the return is par for the course. a civilized person would accept that.

maybe the pax demographic of a LCC is different. but dont know. dont fly them.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
2. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

Having watched the train-wreck TV that is "Airways" (follows the ups and downs of passengers flying Tiger), you could be forgiven for thinking you were flying "Bogan Air". Of course they show the people that make good TV, not the normal people who would never scream abuse at check-in staff, but even so, it's not an advertisement for the type of people you could be stuck next to for hours on end.

I agree with lien, I pick an aisle for long-haul as I get leg cramps and like to be able to walk about without disturbing others (husband gets middle!!) but I know this means I have to get up to let others out. It's part of being considerate to my fellow-passengers (something some people seem to leave behind at the check-in desk) and no big deal.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
reviews: 54
3. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

I was more concerned over the fact that if you for some reason drop the "F" bomb or even worse you could be caned in Singapore. If flying Singapore Airlines I wonder if this would have happened.

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

i have been flying SQ since they were MSA and can remember only one 'incident' on board one of their aircraft which was handled immediately and efficiently by a male purser the non nonsense approach shut it down very quickly. and i think #2 has indicated the reason.

and as a regular visitor to singapore u learn to behave yourself. they have very strict laws and (rumour has it) quite a network of "reporters".

Edited: 8:55 pm, January 22, 2013
reviews: 4
5. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

#3 rest assured that you won't get cane when you drop the F bomb in Singapore. I'm a Singaporean and we curse and swear as much as other countries. Maybe even more seeing that we speak more than 1 language and have about 5 different dialects. Maybe even more.

And as long as you don't litter, draw on the walls and bring in drugs, you'll be fine in Singapore. Just enjoy our little sunny island. We are not uptight I promise :)

Edited: 9:41 pm, January 22, 2013
Shoalhaven...
reviews: 151
6. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

I was more concerned over the fact that if you for some reason drop the "F" bomb or even worse you could be caned in Singapore

Actually, as a traveller who respects others (even if they dont respect me), I would have no issues seeing a person caned for using foul language. Very inappropriate.

In this case, surely the woman going to the loo backed up the version of events given by the innocent party. If not, then maybe more to it.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
7. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

I am with Lien. Not only do I expect to be woken up if I am in an economy aisle, I TELL the people who I have "trapped" that I do not expect them to be stuck and if they need to go to the restroom then they should please wake me!

( of course I try to fly business on long flights to avoid the whole thing)

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 132
8. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

I do love that very Australian word, bogan! This particular pax certainly seems to fit the description. What ridiculous behaviour.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

"Not only do I expect to be woken up if I am in an economy aisle..."

My trick when flying economy is to seek out aircraft with an X-3-X configuration and grab an aisle seat in the middle block. What usually happens is that the middle seat remains empty, or the person in the middle seat is traveling with the person on the other aisle seat, and therefore bothers them when needing to exit. Only very rarely is the person in the middle seat flying solo, and if that's the case, I have a 50-50 chance of not being disturbed.

I'm wondering why only the man in the middle seat was arrested, since the man in the aisle seat was just as much, if not even more at fault.

Edited: 6:30 am, January 23, 2013
norfolk
reviews: 30
10. Re: Careful flying into Singapore ... you may get stung.

an update here

smh.com.au/travel/travel-incidents/swearing-…

pam