We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
reviews: 77
Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

Is there any end in sight for Pinnacle's miserable on time performanc?. It seems that they cannot stick to a schedule in the upper midwest. I try to avoid using them when I fly Delta but it can be difficult. Anyone have any inside information? Is Delta cracking down on their performance? Their tardiness ruins the Delta brand. Not every airline in bankruptcy has performed this poorly. Thanks

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
1. Re: Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

sorru about the spelling errors--I can spell, just not type well :-)

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

All airlines change schedules from time to time.

Edited: 8:40 am, January 22, 2013
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
3. Re: Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

Never had a single issue with them and I use them all the time. Other than weather delays because of where we live I have not seen problems.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

Regional airlines are always going to have worse on-time performance than the majors, mainly because their schedules are dictated by the majors. If weather hits a hub and your takeoff/landing slots are limited, do you cancel the 50 seat CRJ or the 300 seat A330? Delta is the one calling the shots on schedule. I'm also willing to bet that 90% of the people on the plane have no clue they are flying an airline called Pinnacle. They see Delta in big letters and think it is a 100% Dleta operation.

Dana Point...
reviews: 35
5. Re: Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

You may remember the Continental/ United computer fiasco that nearly shut the airline down for days right after the purchase went through.

The same situation exists here. Pinnacle purchased Mesaba and Colgan Airlines and are still in the settling in stages. The hope was for all 3 airlines to "perform in the Mesaba way"

But, they let go of a a great majority of the ground help & rehired some at $9.00 an hour. So there's fewer staff working for a fraction of the money.

There have been issues with Flight Crews being able to contact ground personnel on everything from gate help to the shut down of Flight Dispatch. There's been at least 3 days of Pinnacle systemwide cancellations (including last week) because Dispatch Computers that feed the Pilot's their flight information weren't working

Pilot's can and do work around this by personally calling and planning their own flight altitudes/directions, etc. although it's very rare and time consuming.

Pinnacle has large numbers of crews leaving because of changing working conditions, sell-off of planes, loss of health insurance & now approximately 16% paycut/benefit cuts for the Pilots. With flt. attendants working for about $16,000 a year. They're losing so many employees that there have been days where no Pilot was available on Reserve in Memphis, which is a BASE!

Now that Delta wants Pinnacle back as a wholly-owned airline there might be some improvement.

What I personally feel you can expect to see is the other Delta Regionals facing these issues. Delta's set the bar for low salary, loss of benefits with Pinnacle.

Delta put negotiations with 2 of their other Regionals on hold waiting the outcome of the Pinnacle Pilot's vote, which essentially was job or no job.

You may recall Delta closed Comair on 9/1/2012 & since they own the Pinnacle planes there was every indication they'd do it again.

So as you're flying Delta's regional carriers remember less than $1 of your ticket goes toward Pilot Salary.

And no, I'm not an employee, but I know several...

Edited: 3:31 am, January 23, 2013
Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
6. Re: Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

Thanks for your insight. that is what I was interested in hearing. I did read this week end that Delta is taking over Pinnacle and moving it's Hq to Minneapolis. Hopefully service and benefits will improve.

7. Re: Schedule chalanged Pinnacle Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 30, 2014