We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

Dalgety Bay, Fife
reviews: 34
Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

Has anyone noticed the rip off prices to fly from Scottish airports this year have hit a new high? Both Thomsons and Thomascook are charging over £200 per head for the same holiday on the same day. I priced up say two weeks in Mexico £4719 from Glasgow and £4150 from Manchester for three adults! How can they justify this? When you get on at Manchester the plane takes off and burns about 45 mins of fuel before it passed over Glasgow on it way out to Mexico! Glasgow is also a smaller airport with lower landing fees! Suggest we all boycott booking until these guys sober up. This is what you get with a duopoly i.e. price fixing. This industry needs regulating, do you agree?

Madrid
reviews: 7
1. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

no.

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
2. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

No and I also didn't fly over Glasgow on my way to Mexico from Manchester we flew over north wales.

:-)

Edited: 5:30 pm, January 21, 2013
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
3. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

"When you get on at Manchester the plane takes off and burns about 45 mins of fuel before it passed over Glasgow on it way out to Mexico!"

___

45 minutes? Are you sure?

wirral
reviews: 74
4. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

I am not so dismissive of your objection. It is all about the demand and the availability.Not many international charter flights from Scotland= great demand for Summer Sun therefore priced accordingly. It's got nothing to do with what the holiday package costs the tour operator (including the flight content) it is what it will sell for that counts.

Vote with your feet=car.Drive to Manchester and start your holiday there.The holiday price difference will be much greater than the extra motoring costs.

Scotland
reviews: 12
5. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

Market forces, I'm afraid. And I am a GLA flyer. Don't like it - do as you say and don't book.

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

You think you've got it bad in Glasgow!! Look at the difference in the costs from Aberdeen,Glasgow flight are cheap compared to up here,think yourself lucky!! We have no option but to travel to the central belt for our flights,or pay a difference of £170 i found costing one flight to Tenerife??

Cotswolds
7. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

I don't quite see how they have to 'justify' it in any way shape or form.

And whilst 'regulation' (what sort, how - price fixing by the regulator?) is superficially attractive it often causes more problems than it fixes - if it fixes any.

manchester
reviews: 42
8. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

The truth is that they don't need to justify it, they are a business like any other and their business is to make money. An holiday to us but a money making venture to the airlines, they are no different from any other businesses in that regard whether it be a supermarket charging £2 for a loaf of bread or gym charging an hefty yearly subscription for membership,all businesses aim to make a profit.

UK
reviews: 88
9. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

AH, I had a little bet with myself, and won, I see the tradition of "rip off" being used where there isn't one continues.

Also, nice to see that oft used phase "How can they justify this" - to which the answer is, people are paying it, that's how they justify it.

If you were running the airline, would you really charge less than passengers would pay? (If the answer to that is "yes" , then thats one reason you arent running the airline).

regards "When you get on at Manchester the plane takes off and burns about 45 mins of fuel before it passed over Glasgow on it way out to Mexico!" even if that was true, I'm not sure what your point is ... actually. I AM sure, I have no idea what your point is.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
10. Re: Scotland Flight RiP Offs have hit a new high this year!

Suggest you arrange a get together with the author of this thread - you seem to be like minded. :-)

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k6034…

Edited: 6:39 pm, January 21, 2013