We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

Mason City, Iowa
reviews: 101
Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

I was just sent an email from Delta, detailing their change in their frequent flier status program. Starting in 2014 you not only have to achieve 75,000 miles for Platinum, but the cost of the fares must total $7500. I also thought I saw that the fares are excluding fees and taxes? I just booked a flight to London, and it had fare was 400 dollars and fees and taxes were 600 dollars. This will be awful tough to achieve that level. One caveat if you charge $25,000 on your Amex Delta card, they'll wave the $7500 requirement. This restructuring can be both a blessing and a curse. First off, it might provide more availability for upgraded seats, since a lot of people won't make the Platinum status. Of course, the downside is having to make sure you make the $7500 dollar requirement. I flew 112,000 miles this year, and would not have met the $7500 requirement. Also, I wonder if you'll be able to roll over miles in 2014? Just thought I'd give a heads up!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 31
1. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

As far as i know the miles never expire unless that has changed recently.

Pretty sure Delta did this to pretty much get everyone using the Amex card. Will have to see how well it ummmmm flies. lol

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
2. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

The $25,000 threshold on the Amex makes it very easy indeed, that's only just over $2000 per month which isn't unreasonable for anyone who is travelling even a modest amount.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
3. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

It would be rare indeed for people to make 75k miles without spending $1000 per 10k miles. I see the revenue inclusion as much ado about nothing.

The airlines are tired of giving away benefits to people who do not contribute to the bottom line, and sorry, but to fly 112k miles without breaking $7500 is cheap flying (well done!). There is a difference between loyal customers and good customers from a business perspective.

Delta has always had one of the worst programs with horrifically expensive award tickets and middle of the road experiential rewards. If you are already near the bottom, there isn't much to lose by going a bit lower.

What I do object to on many airlines is the exclusion of fuel surcharges from the revenue tally. That is silly and results from marketing, not product delivery.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

Not all that surprising. It is probably better for the average elite than giving a reduced percentage of EQMs on low fare bucket tickets. Also not surprising that they don't count taxes - that is something that Delta just collects and makes no money off of.

I really need to burn those 250,000 miles sitting in my DL account before they get devalued further.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 32
5. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

This won't have any effect on weekly business travellers.

Those doing mileage runs are upset.

Mason City, Iowa
reviews: 101
6. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

Yep, If I find a cheap flight in November or December, I used to take it to retain Platinum status. I guess I'll have to buy a class B,Y, or M fare and hope for an upgrade or use my up until now worthless upgrade certificates if I need a few more $ in my account. Actually, I'd do that for my wife. I shouldn't have any trouble putting $25,000 on the Delta Amex. Unfortunately, that's going to hurt my Marriott Visa reward points. I'll have to weigh the two and see which makes more financial sense.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

>>What I do object to on many airlines is the exclusion of fuel surcharges from the revenue tally. <<

In Delta's case that's not an issue. Airline surcharges (e.g. fuel) do count towards the revenue (MQDs), but government taxes and fees (incl the UK's APD) don't.

BUT ..... note that the revenue component (MQDs) is only earned on Delta marketed flights; those that carry a DL number or ticketed using the 006 ticket code (not 100% sure what that means). Unlike qualifying miles, flights purchased and flown with SkyTeam and partner airlines (for example an AF flight purchased from AF) don't count towards the revenue requirement.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/supp…

AND .... something else. Starting March 1st 2013, the qualifying mileage accrual rates on most of the Asian SkyTeam carriers are being slashed to just 50% (including full fare Y). Even discounted business class on Korean Air will earn only 75% MQM accrual on Delta.

https:/…airlines.html

Edited: 9:42 pm, January 21, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
8. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

006 is the IATA code for e-tickets issued by DL; a Delta ticket number will be 006-xxxxxxxxx.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

>> 006 is the IATA code for e-tickets issued by DL; a Delta ticket number will be 006-xxxxxxxxx.<<

Got it, thanks.

Also, here's an article by Cranky Flier on this subject (which also clarifies the 006 tickets).

crankyflier.com/2013/…

10. Re: Delta Changing FF Requirements 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, January 23, 2014