We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Rome to Paris

dubai
reviews: 8
Travel from Rome to Paris

Recently when my family traveled from Rome to Paris we encountered a problem. We went from Dubai to Rome by Qater Airways. We had a booking in Kuwait AIrways for travel from Rome to Paris. But we were not allowed to board the flight as our visa was single entry and Kuwait Airways was a non-Shengen country flight. As it was evening we had to buy tickets on Vueling Air for Euros 1300 ( 4 tickets) to continue our trip. This was a waste of money and the tickets booked on Kuwait Airways was also a waste (Euros 400). Please take care to verify such details while traveling. All my careful planning, scheduling trips in the 2 cities seemed a big waste. Luckily our family thorougly enjoyed the trip to Rome and Paris.

London
reviews: 37
1. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

Rome and Paris are both in the Schengen Zone. As you are already in the zone you do not need another entry visa.

There is no such thing as a 'non-Schengen country flight' between Rome and Paris.

Complain to Kuwait Airways and demand they reimburse you for the Vueling flights.

dubai
2. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

Thanks a lot.

australia
reviews: 17
3. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

Are Kuwait Airways allowed to sell single sector Rome to Paris flights?

Was Paris sector a codeshare flight directly from the Qatar flight?

Or had you spent some time in Rome before attempting to board the Kuwait flight?

The events leading up to your attempt to board the Kuwait Airlines flight would make a difference. Perhaps the explanation given wasn't put correctly.

In any event ask for a refund from whoever sold you the flight in the first place.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
4. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

As far as I can determine you were on two seperate tickets is that correct?

So you flew in on Quatar, had to leave the non Schengen area and collect bags then tried to recheck for the flight to Paris but refused boarding due to the fact that you only had a single entry Schengen visa. Correct?

This is your own fault. It is up to you to make sure that when you purchase tickets that you have the correct Visa's for the countries you wish to visit. To catch the KU165 flight to Paris you would then have to cross the Schengen border again to non Schengen to board this flight as KU165 is a flight which arrives from Kuwait, drops of and picks up pax then goes onward to Paris. In Paris the flight would land non Schengen and you would have to clear immigration there too. Since your single entry visa was then invalid you would be refused entry and deported. Kuwait would then be responsible for you and your family and be in a lot of trouble with French immigration and probably fined heavily.

That’s what I see has happened anyway so you have no recompense against Kuwait Airways

Since you only had a single entry visa they were within their rights to deny boarding.

Edited: 6:50 am, January 21, 2013
London
reviews: 37
5. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

That explains it.

I hadn't realised there were non-Schengen flights within the Schengen zone, but now I understand how there can be.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 138
6. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

Thanks for the warning.

dubai
7. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

We stayed in Rome for 5 days and then tried boarding the Kuwait Air flight. I booked the tickets through travel agent. Surprisingly they came to know about this only when we tried explaining. We also din't know about Shengen, non-shengen etc. before. Expensive lesson.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
8. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

Was there a reason you chose this KU flight? There are several budget airlines plus a nightsleeper train whcih could have taken you from Rome to Paris (Veuling, Easyjet, Ryanair) cheaply without this hassle.

You may have recourse against the travel agent for selling you ticket that you could not use (where are they based?) but like I said the onus is on the passenger to make sure that they have correct documentaion to get them to their destination.

At least you seem to have taken it fairly well and not blamed the rest of the world for your mistake so well done.

dubai
9. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

Yes, I agree. We should have checked such details. We left it to agent in Dubai to do the booking and assumed they should be correct. Took Veuling which cost us Euros 1300 for 4 tickets as last minute booking.

Edited: 11:20 am, January 21, 2013
las pinas
reviews: 1
10. Re: Travel from Rome to Paris

I had the same experience too. Who will know that it is a connecting flight?! Maybe they should start putting in the terms & conditions. You would definitely buy it because most of the time it's the cheapest deals Kayak normally shows.