We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Boston, MA
reviews: 29
Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

I read from TA forum and someone suggested to use http://www.momondo.com to search for flights (going from Boston to Madrid in mid-July) and the lowest fare results were from either GoTravel123 or Payless Flights. Both were around $820 round trip while I searched for the same dates from Expedia - $1195. Is it too good to be true?

34 replies to this topic
Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

If it's to good to be true, then it probably is

Jackie

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 86
2. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Probably. Did you click all the way through and see if the flights were actually available?

Boston, MA
reviews: 29
3. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Yes..up to the point for purchase then I stopped and want to do some research first.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
4. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

"Yes..up to the point for purchase then I stopped and want to do some research first."

With 3rd party sites that do not have access to live prices it can be common to complete the purchase at what you think is a great price but you receive an email a few days later telling you that price is no longer available.

They offer to get you the flight for an extra $xx which increases the price to what you would pay booking direct with the airline - deciding to cancel will get you a refund of what you had already paid eventually.

uk
reviews: 178
5. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Clicking through the link for the journey gives you a price.

"Next" then redirects you to a website called studentuniverse

You'll then find at the end that the fares quoted are for eligible college students (age 12-34) and youths (age 16-25)

You'll likely find other fees added on later.

This forum is full of posts from people who come across websites promising to sell airline seats for less than the airline sells them.

Book direct. Even the fare above for students is available direct from Iberia.

Here
6. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Just had a bad experience with paylessflights. Found a reasonably priced one way flight from JFK via Heathrow to Düsseldorf in Germany at US$ 432. I went ahead and booked it yesterday. Today I received an email saying my credit card had been declined and the reservation cancelled. I called my bank to find out why it had been declined - they said it had been authorised correctly and now is in the pipeline. But when paylessflights actually tried to charge it, they must have sent corrupted data.

Now I called Paylessflights and asked them what to do. They say all I can do is book again. I didn't really like the idea because it means they will get authorized for another $432 and could potentially charge the card twice. I decided to go ahead and book again anyway, but changed my mind when I saw the price had gone up by $100 since my last attempt at booking. So I called paylessflights again, talked to the same guy with the "can't do" attitude again. He admitted it was their fault, but still (rather rudely) insisted there was nothing he could do for me. All I could do was authorize them to charge my credit card again and cough up the higher price for the ticket. Alternatively he suggested I should buy my tickets somewhere else. I guess that is what I will do.

Now I am left with an authorized amount of $432 they can charge to my credit card in the next six month and no ticket.

I would avoid paylessflights if possible!

Worthing, United...
7. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Hi

The first bit of good news is that you paid by credit card. Don't give them another penny, just wait and see if the charge actually goes through. Just because it was authorised doesn't mean they have the money yet.

Report the transaction to your credit card people and forward the email which says they were unable to take the money.

If they get their hands on your cash check with the airline to see if the reservation exists, if not contact your card again and enlist their help to recover your cash.

Do all of this before you make another reservation, and next time direct with the airline, remember if an offer seems to good to be true it probably is.

Jackie

Here
8. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Update:

After a lot of phonecalls I found out what really happend:

Their business strategey seems to be to offer cheap flights without knowing if they can actually book the flight for that price. When someone buys the ticked, they try and book it with the airine. If they are happy with their profit, they go through with the booking. If they wouldn't make any money on it, they cancel the credit card payment and make it look like your credit card has been declined and it is your own fault not getting the flight at the cheap price. Unfortunately, on top of this highly questionable business model, they are also incompetent and messed up the cacelation in my case.

Unfortunately for me, Visa won't cancel the authorization. They say all I can do is watch my account and only if paylessflights do take the money they will do something about it.

This has cost me a week of time (during which alternative flights have got more expensive of course) and my credit cards limit will be reduced for a while.

So again: I would strongly recomend NOT to use paylessflights.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
9. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

" If they wouldn't make any money on it, they cancel the credit card payment and make it look like your credit card has been declined and it is your own fault not getting the flight at the cheap price."

___

Do you have evidence of this? I'm pretty sure you can track back as to why a CC payment was declined or if it had been cancelled.

Worthing, United...
10. Re: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?

Hi

It's not as simple as that, my card was actually declined by Hilton hotels the other day when I was making a reservation, I phoned my credit card and they said they hadn't declined the card, so with them on the phone I attempted the transaction again, card declined again but the card people said no transaction was attempted.

I think there is another point where a card might run into trouble before it reaches your provider.

Jackie

Reply to: Anyone used GoTravel123 or Payless Flights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted