We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel insurance claim due to flood

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 1
Travel insurance claim due to flood

My family of 4 booked a flight with airasia to Jakarta for CNY.

Currently, the state has declare a state of emergency due to flood. If I forgo the trip, am I able to claim the full amount of airfare from the insurance?

Airasia charges $50 per pay per pax which means $400 for us, it doesn't make sense to change flight right?

Appreciate all urgent advices.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

Whether you are covered by insurance depends on the wording of your policy: you need to read it.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
2. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

Different insurance companies & plans have different coverage. Only you (reading your policy coverage) & your insurance company can sort this out.

After reading the details of your policy, you should contact your insurance company if you feel you are covered for this flooding. They may claim "force majeure", though, which may not be covered by your policy.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
3. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

Hi,

Insurance in almost always a case of details, details, details.. You really need to take a close hard look at EXACTLY what it does AND does NOT cover, as well as an exceptions or limitations.

Once you determine what you coverage actually is, I'd be sure I can document-- as best as possible-- what are your claimed losses..

Some will, others won't; there really is no one universal answer here as polices aren't written with uniform or universal language.

Travel Safe,

London, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

Absolutely. This is not something the general public can tell you. Read the policy and speak to them.

However I would urge caution. I am unsure how it works in Singapore, but I know the British foreign office is not recommending against or banning travel to Jakarta nor are flights currently disrupted, even though there is a state of emergency. This means one could go if they wished. There is nothing in place that would formally prevent you getting there.

You really need to speak to your insurers and you need to get the answer confirmed in writing, as verbal responses can be erroneous, before deciding. This is really important.

The bottom line is you can travel to Jakarta, so insurance may not kick in. You simply, and understandably don't want to due to the situation, which may be the key difference and mean insurance will not cover you, you are voluntarily choosing not to go. So its really all about the policy you have.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

Agree with the others regarding your travel insurance.

One other thing to check are overseas government travel advisories if the situation gets bad. For example, (in your case) the Singapore government advising against travel to Indonesia or certain areas there. This may trigger travel waivers from the airlines, allowing you to at least postpone your trip without resorting to insurance.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney
reviews: 30
6. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

Just a quick add.

You said IF I forgo the trip...

Two questions -

1. What dates are you booked to travel?

2. What dates are you covered by the insurance?

I had a friend caught out on this, they had a family issue and cancelled their flights. Although they were covered by the technical working of the policy, but they only insured themselves from the date of their departure, NOT from the date of their airline/travel purchase.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
7. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

You could always contact the insurers to ask.

8. Re: Travel insurance claim due to flood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 20, 2014