We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name your price????????????? virgin.

cornwall
reviews: 42
Name your price????????????? virgin.

Just called virgin to ask how much an upgrade for the return trip for a family of 5 from orl. int to gatwick on 21st of feb would cost, bearing in mind on their site its telling me about £1000. Calling them tonight they said we could have it for £700. I have been advised to call the night before the flight or wait until check in to get a better deal. I did mention that the flight was empty on the way home and £400 plus must be better to virgin than us just staying in economy and the sales advisor agreed. ............ will see...........Thoughts........................

Edited: 3:56 pm, January 17, 2013
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
1. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what your question is. You aren't really naming your own price, are you?

You have no way of knowing if the "flight is empty". Seat maps aren't a reliable indicator and 21 Feb is a long time away.

West Midlands, UK
reviews: 21
2. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

If its £200 each return for the upgrade from economy to PE I think that's a good price, £700 for 5 of you is excellent!

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

From the OP I gather the price quoted is just for the return trip - even if there is space don't rely on Virgin giving you an upgrade at a really low price on the basis that £400 is better than nothing.

They would probably say that maintaining the "value" of the premium cabin is better than £400.

cornwall
4. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

Gracie, you got that wrong. Manage your flights is a good guide to seats avaliable. As stated by virgin, the flight is empty returning half way through our school half term. You learn something everyday dont you..

cornwall
5. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

Sorry Tom, yes just the return leg.

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 20
6. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

I think £700 for 5 people to upgrade is fantastic! Go for it now because availability could be worse on the day, or higher fares may then be applicable closer to the time of travel.

7. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 5:27 pm, January 17, 2013
cornwall
8. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

might hold out for £50pp

Seahouses, United...
reviews: 1
9. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

Gunboat..manage your flight is no indication of how full the plane will be,

Firstly it will only show the seats in the class you booked so you have no way of knowing how full the other section will be,

Our flight showed all the window seats (ie the pairs down the side of the PE on an A330) all full but they were half empty. It was the same with the middle rows. I did not show anybody in the economy seats but they were half full.

As to booking the seats cheaply,it would be nice to dream they will but they may not.

UK
reviews: 90
10. Re: Name your price????????????? virgin.

might hold out for £50pp

--------

It's not going to happen. They set a minimum price for those seats so as not to devalue them.

You are probably thinking they would rather sell them for £50 than get nothing, but actually they would rather NOT sell them for £50 at all, because then they will have trouble selling the full priced seats at £500 because people know if you hang on you can get them for way cheaper, so they will figure they aren't worth £500.