We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

London, United...
British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

On Sat 22 Dec 2012 I travelled from London Heathrow to Washington Dulles (BA 217 business class). Two of my bags went missing. One was delivered the following day. The other I am still waiting for. As the British Airways lost baggage website listed both bags as delivered, my case was considered closed. I was not able to make any further enquiries as all the telephone services (including the Gold Card member contact number) are either automated or simply direct you to the British Airways website. I opened a new case via the website and received a response 6 days later (despite promises of a call back within 24 hours) which explained that both bags had been delivered. I am at a loss as to what to do next.

Lisbet R.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
1. Re: British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

Have you phoned them? Did they say you signed for both bags and have a copy of the form you signed? Did you file forms upon arrival at IAD? If you've just relied on online contacts so far, it seems clear you need to phone, but that seems so obvious I'm probably missing something.

London, United...
2. Re: British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

I have phoned but not been able to speak to anyone - all the phones are automated. I didn't sign for both bags as only one was delivered - all I want is to speak to someone in customer care who can track my bags down!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

Lot's of phone numbers on their website. Surely some are manned?

britishairways.com/travel/…GB

Cardiff, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

Could you try a general reservations number and ask for them to transfer you? A missing bag file can be reopened so it's very easily done. Just need to speak to a human to do it. I would ring every number going. Also put a claim into their baggage claim dept. If the bag is irretrievably lost then time limits are very strict to claim.... good luck!

Wigan, United...
reviews: 83
5. Re: British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

We got a good result from phoning them at 0191 490 7901. Both bags were assigned the same tracking number by BA so when 1 got delivered they tried to close the case but we spoke to a very helpful lady and eventually got the 2nd bag back too. I know insurance covers bags and contents up to a point but it's still very annoying. Good luck!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

Hi,

"As the British Airways lost baggage website listed both bags as delivered, my case was considered closed."

==> I'll bet that someone at BA closed the entire PIR file in WorldTracer, rather than closing just the ONE bag that was found (on the PIR called a TN) and leaving the file open until the second bag was/is found*.

Once you close a PIR, in WT, the system auto-closes any remaining outstanding bags as well.. even if a resolution code has not been entered. I recall that the system does "flag" the user that one of more unresolved bags remain within the file itself, but I know you can close it even with them in unresolved status.

(Note: This is premised on the idea that ONE single PIR was opened and both bags were filed under that single report)

BA *can* re-open a reasonably recent closed WT file (I recall there is a time limit for doing this) but if for whatever reason they can't or won't, there's nothing preventing them from creating a new PIR case and "transferring" the data from the 2nd (still unresolved) bag and migrating that data to the new file- and working with that one.

Travel Safe,

7. Re: British Airways lost luggage - who can I speak to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 20, 2014