We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

Saint Paul...
reviews: 1
What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

We would like to go to Oahu and Maui in May. I have been following prices and it is lowest at $900 ish. Plane seats still look empty. Do I book or wait for better price.

MSP-HNL (stay 2 night)

HNL-OGG (stay 10 nights)

Ogg-MSP

London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

No one can predict the price for you, there is another thread on this. Find a price you are happy with and book it and then don't look back, prices could go up or go down.

seattle WA
reviews: 91
2. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

If you book on Alaska, you can get a credit if the price goes down. I put my information on to yapta.com (I think TA has a similar feature) and they email me if the price drops. Call Alaska and they will give you a credit for your "wallet" which you can use next time you book. They will do that as many times as the price drops. Other airlines have a minimum drop (I think it's American where the price has to drop $150 to get the credit.) If you have an Alaska credit card you get a companion fare ($99 + tax) which we used to go to Maui for Thanksgiving. Helped ease the hurt of over $1K tickets. (This information will help you for next year's trip to Hawaii!!) We bought for Memorial Day this year to the Big Island for $674 in Dec. and the price hasn't dropped yet. Still hoping! Good luck.

Sally in Seattle

Salem, Oregon
3. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

We just went to Maui at the beginning of November and stayed for 10 days. We paid $322 including tax RT from Portland, OR. Trip Advisor sent me an email when the prices droped so we were able to get the deal, otherwise I wouldn't have known about the low airfare. We also took an inter-island flight from Maui to Oahu for the day for $120 RT or $60 one way on go airlines. The best prices I have seen to Hawaii are usually Nov and Dec before the holidays and Jan-Feb. I have seen ok pricing in May, but it goes up and is really expensive during the summer months. Hope you find a good deal.

Saint Paul...
reviews: 1
4. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

I just thought since Minneapolis is a hub with lots of choices, it should be much less.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
reviews: 39
5. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

It is almost 5000 miles. What would you consider a fair price?

We pay in the 900 range when we go then use miles to upgrade to first class.

You might get a bit less by flying through ORD.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
reviews: 98
6. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

Clark howard and other finance gurus are saying 3 months for best coach prices. also, the airlines move their schedules around before 3 months then tend to firm them up. If there are going to be connections , etc, i'd book at 3 months.

7. Re: What price is good to book for Hawaii? And how far out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 19, 2014