We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
131 reviews
JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

Hello. I am looking to book a flight to Orlando and it has come to my attention that I can earn American Airlines miles on JetBlue flights on the Boston-MCO flights and can even book the flights directly on American's website. My question is, does this mean I have to "choose" which airline I want the credit for, as in either American Airlines miles OR JetBlue True Blue or will I be able to get double credit?

I am assuming I get American miles if I book on the AA website and TrueBlue if I book on JetBlue, but I am wondering if there is a way to split it to get some of each if I have to choose. One leg of American miles gets me a free ticket and one leg of True Blue resets my countdown to expiration clock. It seems to me there is no way to double dip, but thought I would pose the question in case someone has figured it out or if I am missing the boat completely and it is acceptable.

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
49,887 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

I suspect the only way you will be able to double dip is to book two one way tickets rather than a return. If you have a JetBlue branded credit card, you could book the flights at the AA website, use that card for payment and with that payment keep the TrueBlue points active.

Alternately, can you provide your AAdvantage card number when checking in at the airport for the outbound sector and TrueBlue number for the inbound?

The AA website doesn't show JetBlue flights for BOS-MCO, even when one chooses all airlines. If you want to fly with JetBlue you'll have to book with them.

UK
Level Contributor
47,730 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

Something you could try, might work.

Put in, say your American ff number. Fly your outbound leg. Just before you fly the return go into manage my booking, put in your jet blue number. I dont know if it will let you change it once you've flown one leg,but I suspect it will. Since each leg does get credited separately, this *ought* to work.

But I provide no guarantees.

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
131 reviews
3. Re: JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give your suggestion a go JoeintheUK and just hope for the best as I went ahead and booked off the American Airlines website. TravellerPlus, they actually are listed at the very end of the list as carrier "B6." If it all works out I shall report back. Thanks again!

Milton...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

First, while it is possible to get credit on one carrier for flying on the other, they do not make the rules easy to find. My experience is that doubling up is not possible -- you can get credit on one or the other. If you book through one, yours truly at least has not figured out how to sign up for credit on the other at the time of booking. As I am usually flying JetBlue and looking to get AA credit for the flight, a call to the JetBlue 800 number is required, as I did minutes ago. My experience with the JetBlue 800 number is that they are invariably courteous (I was just offered a new itinerary showing changed FF # to be emailed to me), and that my AA number prints out nicely on the JetBlue boarding card and the credit thereafter goes through. Once credit did get lost between JetBlue and AA, with the one saying it had been sent and the other saying not, it wasn't worth my time chasing. Other than that, the "foreign carrier" credits have gone through smoothly from JetBlue to AA.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
4,907 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

In all probability, you're going to acquire miles on the number you use when you first book the flights. It's probably going to be printed in your itinerary and on your boarding passes. I'd just go ahead and select which one you want to add the miles to and quit trying to game the system.

Boston...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
131 reviews
6. Re: JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

This thread is 8 months old and that flight was 12 flights ago. I got AA credit 3 months after flying. Best to start a new thread than awaken an old one.

7. Re: JetBlue/American Airlines Partnership - Miles Earned

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 03, 2014