We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21038128

"Japan's two main airlines have grounded their Boeing 787 Dreamliners after one was forced to make an emergency landing because of battery problems.

All Nippon Airways (ANA) grounded its fleet of 17 Dreamliners after its flight NH 692 from Yamaguchi Ube was forced to land shortly after takeoff.

Japan Airlines followed suit, saying it would ground its fleet of seven 787s from 16 January until further notice."

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
1. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

Yep I just saw this again there was a battery problem. Well of course most new aircraft have teething problems but this seems to be a bit more than that safety wise. If you have to start doing emergency landings and deploying chutes to evacuate then have a major customer ground it's fleet.

We will have to see what Boeing say I suppose.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 60
2. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

Hopefully Boeing can resolve the concerns in a timely manner.

WA
reviews: 1
3. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

ANA is a great disappointment! It's grounding of not only the 787s but 777 routes between Narita and some US cities has created havoc for passengers and code-share partner airlines. While ANA made announcements of cancelling all flights until June to these cities, it did not officially convey this information to its partners. I have spent the past few days working with United to change the code-shared ANA 787 flights to United flights. United agents were not able to make the changes because the ANA flights did not indicate they were cancelled. After calling daily and waiting for the agents to confer with their supervisors who in turn had to make some phone calls, I finally got 6 out of 8 family members squared away. Tonight, I spent over an hour waiting on the phone, not daring to hang up and risk the United flight seats being gone.

This lack of responsibility has certainly soured me on ANA. It had not worked to be part of the solution, but became a large part of the problem instead. Not only did they refuse to deal with the passengers holding ANA tickets bought through United, they made the process horrendous for the passengers and United.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
4. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

Imfung, that's useful information, especially as United is a joint venture partner. I haven't seen anything about that on FlyerTalk.

If you haven't got the final 2 squared away yet (that wasn't clear to me) see if you can get them rebooked on Asiana via Incheon. They're a Star Alliance partner, and it's not a huge roundabout route. And once those two tell you about their experience you'd be so jealous! :)

Seeing as United has also had to cancel (postpone) DEN-NRT and other new/restart routes (as the planes are needed to cover the 787), I wonder how they are working with their partners. They're going to need ANA cover for SFO-TPE which is one of the routes postponed.

Well done for your persistence, and look on the bright side. You'll get 100% mileage and elite accrual in MileagePlus now you're on United metal, instead of only 50-70% on ANA. :)

Edited: 12:43 am, February 27, 2013
WA
5. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

Want another horror story? The other two changes are for my husband and me, which unfortunately, I had booked through Cheap Fare Guru. United said because it was sold as "bulk" to the travel agencies, there was no $$ shown on its computer system that the agent could change to match whatever, and therefore, I have to go through the travel agency for changes. The agent told me there should not be any problems

I sent an e-mail to the travel agency requesting an ASAP response. Did not get a reply. So I called. The first time I called and stated my problem, I got cut off after being told to hold. I called again. This time, the person told me there are no canceled flights by ANA. (I'd personally called ANA and was told the flights were canceled from 3/31 until June). He kept arguing that the ANA flights should be fine. Finally, he asked what flights I wanted to change. He said he would e-mail United for the changes and it would take a week; he couldn't wait to get off the phone. I ran out of energy to deal with it anymore tonight. I will tackle it with United tomorrow....

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
6. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

>> The other two changes are for my husband and me, which unfortunately, I had booked through Cheap Fare Guru.<<

imfung, Good luck. But, as you're discovering, it's always best to book direct with the airline(s) rather than 3rd party bookers.

WA
7. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

The irony was that I wanted to be on the ANA 787 Dreamliners, not on any

United's flights because of bad service. For some reason, United website didn't show any ANA 787 flights for the date that we return. I found it on the Cheap Fare guru website, so i went and booked with them. Never did i think it would come back and bite me. I don't usually book through the agencies.

Someday, I will probably look back and laugh at the craziness of it all, but not now....

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 139
8. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

So ANA should have flown the unrepaired 787's?

ANA should by some divine miracle invent new aircraft to cover the routes?

The entire world (or at least those interested in travel) have been fully aware of 787 withdrawl from service. Are you seriously trying to get us to beleive that United were unaware or never informed of code-share changes? What a load of....

ANA is correct. You purchased your ticket from united. You need to re-arrange with united. You purchase through cheapo agency, you need to deal with cheapo agency.

Unfortunately it was boeing's issue that these were pulled from service, and your issue as to where you purchased your tickets.

Understand your frustration, but life is a box of chocolates

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
9. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

Douglass,

I think imfung's comment is that although ANA has canceled a number of flights to the US, that information wasn't available to United in their reservations system when he did the right thing and called United.

And even if it was booked through cheapo agency, they would have had to call United (or access the reservations system) and would have had the same issue. From what I read it was only two people booked through cheapo anyway.

Don't know where the fault lies, or if imfung called super quickly and the data just hadn't been uploaded in time. These two carriers are in a JV.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
10. Re: Japan Airlines and ANA Ground Dreamliners

imfung's big mistake was to think that a flight that was not available in the airline's system was 'for real' in a third party's website. That is a major non sequitor.