We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia How are they?

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 18
Air Asia How are they?

Hi there,

We have booked tickets and (even with the add ons) we are stoked with the price, to Siem Reap via KL and then from Phnom Pehn Back to the Gold Coast.

We have never flown with them and are wondering if there is an experienced air asia user that could tell us what they are like.

I always get the most amazingly helpful information on tripadvisor so thank you in advance, these forums make travelling so much easier!

Cheers

Melanie

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 62
1. Re: Air Asia How are they?

They get you where you want to go at very cheap prices if you book far in advance.

I have had a few flight delays with them.

They are a low cost carrier so more seats in the plane= less legroom.

I really like air asia and they are one of the main reasons I am able to travel around south east asia.

Brisbane, Australia
2. Re: Air Asia How are they?

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

I couldn't have wished for a better answer, we are happy to give up a little leg room to be able to take 2 overseas trips a year, which is what this will mean to us to use Air Asia.

Thanks again

Penang Island...
reviews: 9
3. Re: Air Asia How are they?

I fly long distance Air Asia 10 times a year as well as innumerable trips within Asia.

Once you understand the business model (the add ons) they are great. Planes are mainly on time and of course the fares are always competitive.

Worth buying a seat on the longer journeys. The larger planes goes to a 2-3-2 seating plan at the back which is good if there are only two of you.

On flights of more than say two hours within Asia consider booking the wing exit seats. More often than not you will get the whole section to yourself.

By the way the average age of their planes is far younger than Qantas.

Enjoy

Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Batu Ferringhi, Chaweng, Ko Samui
reviews: 157
4. Re: Air Asia How are they?

Hi

also the Skytrax Airline rating site

http://www.airlinequality.com/index.htm

and seatguru (part of TA)

http://www.seatguru.com/

and seatplans

http://www.seatplans.com/

http://www.airtimetable.com/seatmaps.htm

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Air Asia How are they?

Wow that number of trips makes you an absolute expert and I really appreciate the seating advice that's invaluable. It looks like we'll be doing 2 overseas trips a year thanks to air Asia.

I can't thank you enough for taking time to give us this fabulous insider information.

Melanie

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: Air Asia How are they?

Thanks for the websites too, I'm heading there to check them out now.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to help us, travelling is so much easier when you use Tripadvisor.

Melbourne
reviews: 6
7. Re: Air Asia How are they?

We have flown with them several times, they are affordable and we have never experienced any problems with them, in fact we have felt that safety has come first. We chose our seats, we did several times book exit door, however felt restricted with not being able to put the arm rest up as the tray table is in the armrest on the exit doors. Have a look at row 44.

we also find the back of the plane a better option as quite often there may be spare seats and one of us has moved. The crew have been great and as mentioned regarding safety, they landed at Subang Airport, KL as there was a severe thunderstorm and they were unable to land at KL LCCT. we missed our connecting flight to Phuket, however they honoured the next available flight at no extra cost to us.

St Helens, United...
reviews: 44
8. Re: Air Asia How are they?

I've done KL-Penang, Penang-Bangkok, Bangkok-Phnom Penh and Chiang Mai-Bangkok with Air Asia and never once had a delay or any other issue. By saying this I'm clearly setting myself up for a fall when I use them for Bangkok-Hanoi in March!

Brisbane, Australia
9. Re: Air Asia How are they?

Majp81

I sincerely hope you're not setting yourself up for a fall. I'm hoping taking the time to write Ron this forum will in fact give you good karma!

I can't believe we didn't try air Asia sooner, clearly you are all much smarter than us, but better late than never.

Have an awesome time in Hanoi and thanks again for taking the time to give us this invaluable information we really appreciate it.

Melanie

Newcastle, New...
10. Re: Air Asia How are they?

I hope your flight does not get cancelled by Air Asia. My return flight from Phuket to Sydney was cancelled 4 days prior to the scheduled flight and I was told I would get a refund within 30 days. Three months later and still nothing! Air Asia are fine when they actually fly, but they are now illegally withholding my money. I stongly urge you NOT to take the risk.