We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEVER again Virgin Australia

Sanur, Bali...
reviews: 18
NEVER again Virgin Australia

My experience with Virgin Australia was horrible. I flew with them from New Zealand to Sydney. The airline cancelled my original flight then booked me on another flight making me miss my connection to Bali. I didn't allow that to bother me, but it got worse. Once at the airport they notified me the would not issue my boarding pass because I did not have a visa for Australia. I never needed a visa originally because I wasn't suppose to be staying in Australia! I guess the attendant I had spoke with the day before forgot to mention this, even after I triple checked with him, 'is there any other detail I need to know?'

'No mam, your flight is booked'

After complaining at buying a visa last minute....something that it technically not suppose to be allowed. The lady at the desk recommend I keep all my paperwork until I get to Sydney. Once in Sydney airport find Virgin Australia's office and put in an official complaint. We went to Sydney. Spent 45 min getting the run around to find out the office isn't at the airport. Their office is in another part of Australia far away from the international airport. The Virgin Australia desk offered us a business card with a mailing address and website. I am currently backpacking for seven months so mailing something once I got to Bali seemed pointless. Then the website had a complaint section. I spent 20 mon writing my complaint with as much detail as possible. Click send..,then receive a message stating my complaint is too long it will not send. My complaint was only one solid page on word. I don't think that's too long if you would like the situation to be understood.

Basically Virgin Australia is horrible. Even the flight was long and dull with no in flight entertainment. And stewardess that gave you grumpy looks when you asked for water instead of buying something off their over priced carts. I will NEVER fly with Virgin Australia again!!!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
21. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

Why did you miss the flight? If OLCI didn't work then it's your responsibility to get to the airport in plenty of time to check in. If you didn't then that's YOUR fault, and all the subsequent events are your fault because they wouldn't have happened had you got to the airport in time.

22. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:07 pm, June 24, 2013
Melbourne
reviews: 7
23. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

If you couldn't check in online, do what I did for my international flight last month - get to the airport extra early to ensure there are no problems.

You're lucky you were able to get on the next flight for just $50! If you missed the flight due to your own fault, the airline would have been well within their rights to say too bad, and made you pay a FULL fare for a new one.

I've been on a flight with a broken entertainment system before. Frustrating for sure, but it can't always be fixed on the spot and there aren't always spare seats to move you to. Next time take a book or some magazines to entertain yourself just in case.

What do you think you're entitled to from all of this?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
24. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

Do find it amusing the author requests the posts to be deleted because she cannot accept part of this was her own fault.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 41
25. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

Charging you a $50 change fee to get you on the next flight is a bonus. You should be praising Virgin. Try missing a Tiger or Jetstar flight and see what happens. They had every right to declare you a no show and cancel your ticket.

Broken IFE is annoying but FAs are not engineers. It can't always be fixed on the spot.

It really doesn't matter why you missed the first flight. You missed it. End of story. Not the airlines fault.

London, United...
reviews: 22
26. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

I don't really understand, what was the reason she missed the flight? Is the posters view that if she had been able to check in on line she would not have done so? Can't get the link.

Looks like the only valid area is that the ife did not work.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 7
27. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

I recall my seat being broken once (could recline it but then it wouldn't go back; FA tried to fix it, without success, but she did give it her best efforts, bless her) and the IFE was all out of kilter (this was a Qantas flight) and these two things were a bit of a pain in the bum, especially as the flight was from Heathrow to Bangkok (8 hours) but I survived ;-)

How on God's green earth can not being able to check in online mean one misses the flight? Even when I do check in online, I still make sure I'm at the airport at least the recommended time before the flight (just in case of traffic delays, train delays etc depending on how I'm getting there or long queues at security etc). I'd rather spend an hour or so longer than needed at the airport, than drag the chain getting there and take the chance of missing my flight.

Centerville, Ohio
reviews: 1,217
28. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

It is the customer's responsibility to purchase a VISA prior to a visit to Australia.

Many airlines will prohibit boarding to Australia without a Visa.

Yes, we 'get" tha VA is not a tier one airline.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 88
29. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

Savantill..what is the relevance of what you are posting?

Melbourne
reviews: 1
30. Re: NEVER again Virgin Australia

Shooter25, I think Savantlll was referring to the original post and has not read where heidi hijacked it about 10 posts ago.