We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 2
Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

I booked a Scoot flight Sydney-Singapore for late Feb and then an onward journey on Tiger airways. I booked them separately from their individual websites. I was not aware that Scoot sells interlined tickets for Tiger. The scheduled time difference between the arrival of Scoot and the onward Tiger flight is 2hrs 5 mins. Both are in the same terminal and hence it SHOULD not be much of a problem I thought. In addition, I was assured by the Scoot-thru option being flashed on their website which assures that they will arrange the transfer etc with tiger for the fee of SGD16 and will also arrange free tkt in case of missing the connecting flight due to their delay.

While doing the booking on scoot site, I did not get the scoot thru option. In any case the website was down for prolonged period yesterday for maintenance and when the "book now" button on the scoot thru page did not respond I presumed it to be a technical glitch and thought I can sort this out later over phone. The site also says that you can buy the scoot-thru option while checking in at sydney with the same privileges.

To be on the safe side, I tried calling their customer support in Sydney this morning with no luck. The call goes into a recorded message with options and while selecting the option for "English", the call gets disconnected. After few hrs of effort I finally called singapore customer support and I was lucky. After a wait of 6-7 mins, I got somebody on the line.

After my prolonged discussion (supposedly in english) I am still not sure whether I have understood her correctly and hence looking for help on this forum. Apparently, the assurance of free tkt in case of missing flights from scoots delay applies only when the interlined tickets have been purchased from Scoot and not directly from Tiger. Is this correct? Can anybody advise? Has anybody bought this option and experienced it?

I am more worried now as I see on changi airport flight statistics website that Scoot's timely performance record is very poor. If they dont reach on time, neither can I clear immigration, collect baggage and check in to tiger desk again, nor can I report at the transfer desk 90 mins before the tiger departure, which is requirement of scoot-thru.

Eagerly looking for advise.

Terrigal, Australia
reviews: 311
1. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

Sorry can't offer any advice way beyond my experience - but raises a question, especially considering the amount of bad press both airlines regularly receive ;

For the assumed $$AUDs that you may have saved in purchasing these tickets is the implied worry and effort worth it ?

Would like to read the result/s when hopefully you successfully complete the trip.

Safe Travels !

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
2. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

Scoot advice is correct. You can only use the Scoot-thru service if you purchased both sectors via the Scoot website. By purchasing two seperate tickets, you now travel on two seperate trips and cannot Scoot-thru.

This is the same for all carriers (low cost and full-service), if you travel on 2 seperate PNR's, you cannot thru check luggage etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
3. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

@curi0usbee

You have been talking to Scoot's contracted call centre in the Philippines. No call centre in Singapore.

Yes you understand correctly. You must book Scoot-thru from Scoot's website for the full journey using Scoot and Tiger to be able to enjoy the guarantee that they will put you on the next available flight with available seat should you miss your connection due to any flight delays.

You can still buy Scoot-thru with your 2 seperate tickets, you will be able to enjoy the benefit from the airside transfer, but not the guarantee as described above.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 2
4. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the principle of scoot supporting the guarantee when buying both the sectors from them, just like any other major carrier would do when they issue interlined tickets. My only crib is that the way the scoot-thru is marketed on their website, it is misleading (according to me). If I was aware of the interlining option, in any case I would have bought it from one place as it is convenient for me too. In any case a lesson learnt. I will probably use the lesson while buying my return ticket.

As for now, I changed my scoot ticket to a day earlier, which they allow for 12 hours (as a cool off period) to be on the safe side. I dont mind speding a day in Singapore and catching up with some family and friends.

@Vada - Different people have different needs and hence businesses target their offering. The budget airlines are thriving and growing all over the world as more and more people are valuing their offering. In my case, there were few benefits:

1) A budget airlines allow single sector (one-way) tickets for half the price of return, unlike most of the full service airlines. This allows me the flexibility of not buying a return ticket till I am sure of a date, instead of buying expensive return tickets with flexibility to change dates and then pay additional $$ for date changes. I am used to doing that with SIA and Qantas over many years as my return travel dates are usually uncertain.

2) The amount saved is not assumed but genuine $$s in pocket. I spent approx $420 for the outbound journey and hope to pay similar on my way back. At the same time with sufficient research, the cheapest alternate return tkt I could find on full service airlines was with Emirates for $1300 and it would have been a much longer flight.

3) I personally do not like red eye flights, though I am sure it is perfect for many people. Buying sector by sector with budget airlines (without a premium) allows me to select flights to my convenience e.g. I will not take the scoot on the way back as it departs in the middle of night from S'pore.

4) I tend to take the media coverage about the bad reports on the two airlines with a pinch of salt. You obviously get what you pay for. Having travelled Jetstar, Virgin in Australia, Ryan Air, Easyjet in Europe and few others in other countries, I think they are generally fine for a casual travel. Obviosly Scoot between Sydney and S'pore is my first long haul travel on a budget airlines and I will looking forward to experience it and know whether it is repeatable for myself or not.

5) I am lucky to have the luxury of time (and acco) on my hand and hence decided to make a stopover in Singapore. It may not be suitable for everybody, especially in terms of losing a day. However, I guess cost wise it may still work out better even after arranging a budget acco in S'pore.

I read the review of Scoot by ricardomartin and found it very useful. I will refer the same here tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5617…

I will surely try to give an update after my travel.

cheers

Helensvale...
reviews: 7
5. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

Hi there,

As an addition to all above, I booked scoot-thru for my recent trip to Phuket, all went well on the way out, although a long wait in Changi to get our new boarding passes. Bad news on the way back they have gone and lost one of our bags, and don't seem in a great rush to assist in finding it!

I have phoned and emailed a few times now, and am guessing we have seen the last of it unfortunately, so my worry is we had too long a stop over in Changi on the way back, and this may have been the reason, i.e. bags sitting unattended whilst they sort out for the next flight.

Apart from this issue, all in all, for a cheap airline they were okay.

Would I fly with them again remains to be seen how the lost bag saga turns out.

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 150
6. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

**Would I fly with them again remains to be seen how the lost bag saga turns out.**

Remember it is not Scoot that lost your bag. It was ground handlers and sub contracted companies.

Even if you decide to change to SQ, QF or BA, they use the same company to handle their baggage at Changi, so the chances of a repeat are exactly the same (except, you will pay double the price for your flight).

Helensvale...
7. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

Yes I agree on that score, but I am more concerned at their lack of "interest" shall we say, in trying to find the bag.

As I say the Scoot experience up to then was quite good.

8. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, February 03, 2013
Helensvale...
9. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

As a follow up, all good the bag turned up approx 2 weeks later.

So all in all would I recommend Scoot, well yes and for saving of 2k was excellent value!

10. Re: Scoot-thru changi - Eagerly looking for advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 06, 2014