We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very poor customer relations from British Airways

Very poor customer relations from British Airways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, January 09, 2013
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
1. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

I need to look up where Abuja is....

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
2. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

Right - thats what I thought.

Is it ever OK to check in one hour before an international flight?? I think thats where all the problems began.

Cala d'Or, Spain
reviews: 79
3. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

It is highly unlikely that the staff in Abuja were BA employees, more than likely the check in was run by a local ground support agency. Very difficult to prove as it's your word against theres.

Like AD says, one hour for check in on an International Flight is cutting it fine.

As for the fares rip off, it would not be the first time this has happened in Nigeria - more the norm.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

What is the listed cut-off time for check-in/bag drop at Abuja airport? BA doesn't say on their website but I can see that both KLM and Lufthansa have it listed at 90 minutes. If it's 90 minutes with BA as well you were simply late for your flight.

Cookham Dean...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
5. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

can you call 0800 number from abroad?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
6. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

The BA website says you must have a boarding pass by the time check in closes but gives no time although it can be accessed via Manage my Booking.

The other 4 passengers could have completed online check in prior to arrival at the airport - I , like others, don't believe that 1hr 15mins is enough for check in on an international flight and the passenger was simply late.

Somerset, UK
reviews: 216
7. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

One post whinger.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 50
8. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

1st post, complains about one alleged incident 3 months ago and another 2 years ago.

Additionally it all happens in a nation with a terrible reputation for financial scams.

Smells fishier than Billingsgate.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
9. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

Hi,

A couple of issues here...

As to the check-in part.. To me this all hinges on what's their formal rule and what time did this all happen..

In most cases the "deadline" for airlines means you are DONE completely with ALL the parts of check-in.. That includes having you physically checked-in, boarding passes issued, *and* your bags weighed/tagged and accepted..

So, to me, IF you didn't get all this done, before the posted deadline, then I think BA would be right.. but again, I'd like to know exactly how does BA define this by not only task, but timeline.

The next part about BA (va the 0800 line) allegedly telling the OP that BA would reimburse them for the funds paid for the date change.. IF that what was in fact told to the OP by BA staff, then I think BA has some level of ownership over that answer..

This part is hard to assess as we'd need to hear the *whole* conversation to know.. I can see it as being exactly as the OP notes.. but.... I can *also* see this as being a misinterpretation or the like.. So, on this part, as I see it, specifics do matter.

The part about 2010 travel to me is kind of background noise and not really germane this *this* case.. For the OP it's pretty clear that they've used it (and perhaps understandably so) to form a "it's always like this with BA" opinion.. but the reality is that from a factual point of view, the 2010 case has no real bearing on the current case as the OP presents it.

Travel Safe,

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Very poor customer relations from British Airways

I just looked at FlightStats for that flight and it gets interesting.

It lists BA82 with, as the OP says, a scheduled departure time of 10:35. But it lists an ACTUAL departure time of 10:15. That's 20 minutes EARLIER than scheduled.

=====

(BA) British Airways 82 - (ABV) Abuja, NG to (LHR) London, EN, GB

DEPARTURE ARRIVAL

Scheduled Departure: 10:35 AM - Thu Oct-11-2012

Actual Departure: 10:15 AM - Thu Oct-11-2012

=====

So there's a discrepancy there between the scheduled and actual departure time. Obviously I have no clue as to which one was at the time correct, but it's something to research further. Especially, as the OP supposedly checked in at 10:20.

IF BA did still have a scheduled departure time of 10:35, and refused you check in at 10:20, AND you can show that the minimum check in time at ABJ is T-60, then you have a case. Not just for the refund of your new ticket, but additional compensation (€600) EU261 for DENIED boarding.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

Edited: 6:45 pm, January 08, 2013