We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

South Pole
reviews: 39
Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/ne…

unless the baggage handlers nick it in transit

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 35
1. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

You might still lose your luggage

All it does is tell you where it is,which I not th same has not going missing

Either on the carousel in front of you or in Hong Kong

Which is some comfort when you are in New York

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
2. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

What if a suspicious partner slipped one into their partners luggage

Partner on business trip to Wagga Wagga????

Tracker shows luggage went to Bali

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
3. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

"The unit goes into a dormant mode once an aircraft exceeds 185 km/h, the company says."

===============================

Meaning it will never get approved. Electronics must be off when the door is closed. I don't want a 185 kmh pushback to make sure the thing is off. It will not turn itself off until sometime in the takeoff roll. Also, if it is truly dormant, how does it know when it is OK to turn itself back on?

"An accompanying smartphone app also alerts passengers as their bag approaches them on an airport carousel.

The company claims passengers using the device will be able to track their luggage globally — "anywhere mobile phones work".

=============================

Airports are one of the worst places for cell phones to work - especially several levels below ground under a massive steel reinforced concrete building, inside an aluminum shipping container. If you are arriving on an international flight in the US, you will also get a lecture from CBP as cell phone use is not allowed in the immigration/custom's hall.

Even if I do know my bag is in another city, what is that going to do to help me. The airline probably knows it too. I will not be investing in their stock.

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

'business trip to Wagga Wagga????'

Love it!!!!

Nuremberg, Germany
5. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

I prefer the business trip to Bali :)

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
6. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

The best way not to lose your luggage is to learn to pack light and carry on your bag.

(I don't mean one of those bags that barely makes the measurement. I mean a truly carryon size bag.)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
7. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

Surely also unless there is free wi-fi in the airport or you don't pay the bill then most people don't turn data roaming on so how would you get your app to work.

Anyway this is a mute point. If your bag is on another aircraft then it won't show you its position as it will be turned off and you will still be standing waiting lorn fully at the carousel praying your bag will appear soon and this little gadget won't magic it any sooner.

The only real selling point I can see is that if your bag does go missing you can at least track it to see if its having a better time than you whilst you stand naked in your hotel room washing your underwear and socks for the third time.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
8. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

What's a truly size carry on bag?

Many airlines will check your luggage if it is just a wee bit over their publicised sizes?

Ronaldo

Like it

V.funny

Oxford, United...
reviews: 122
9. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

"The best way not to lose your luggage is to learn to pack light and carry on your bag."

Not always possible, well for me on a at least a 2 week holiday. I just pack items in my case that are replaceable. I don't usually go anywhere which is in the back of beyond, so could replace items such as clothes/toiletries easily in most countries I visit.

I like the idea of it, but not sure how well it would work ...... one thing I noticed when I was in Indonesia is that when leaving the carousel area everyone had to show security the bar code tags on the bag and that they matched the ones they stick to your passport or boarding pass. Make sure no one nicks your stuff.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 23
10. Re: Never Lose Your Luggage Again?

Well, to go to Japan this summer for 5 weeks, I brought a bag that totalled 45 inches which is, I admit, the maximum carry on size, and a backpack small enough to fit comfortably under the seat in front of me. I checked the larger bag because the flight was non-stop and also made use of the brilliant luggage forwarding in Japan.

For the two periods of 5-6 days each that I was travelling by bus and staying in minshukus, I just used the back pack and found to my surprise that I was able to take everything I needed.

When travelling with the main suitcase, I still found there were things I didn't wear more than once.

But I accept few places are as uniformly hot as Japan in the summer. The only time I need my light quilted jacket was on the plane and a couple of the places I stayed had coin washers and dryers. All had sinks.

Edited: 7:54 am, January 08, 2013