We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fog at manchester airport

Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
Fog at manchester airport

I have a flight Wednesday morning to Tenerife. According to bbc website Forecast is fog and mist all day. It's my first flight in 10 years, how bad does it have to be for fights to be cancelled or delayed?

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Fog at manchester airport

How long is a piece of string?

wirral
reviews: 81
2. Re: Fog at manchester airport

These days it is highly unusual for fog to be a problem at tekkie equipped airports like Manchester.I really can't see (through the mist) it being a problem for you.In most cases the flightdeck crew are flying blind anyway and taking their instructions from ATC.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
3. Re: Fog at manchester airport

In my experiences of departures from Manchester it's unlikely the flight will be cancelled as planes can effectively take off/fly on auto pilot - the worst that's likely to happen is a delay as bad weather normally means that air traffic control have to allow for more seperation between planes landing/taking off.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: Fog at manchester airport

The problem with fog is that when minimum spacing has to increase, inbound flights can be delayed. If your plane is delayed inbound, you are likely to be delayed outbound.

Aircraft and pilot qualification also matter. I got stuck in LGW 10 years ago for 12 hours because my Ryanair flight from Dublin was able to land, but my plane coming in from Detroit could not and got diverted to Stanstead. Ended up we had to be bused to STN. It is probably not as likely today as airlines have had a decade to upgrade more Instrument Landing Systems (ILS) and I was waiting on a DC-10 due for retirement.

Anyway, you can't control it - so don't worry about it.

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 97
5. Re: Fog at manchester airport

Although planes can land in very poor visibility the big problem can be taxiing to stand! This can have a knock on effect in very bad fog.

If there is fog at an extremely busy airport there are bound to be delays and cancellations due to greater spacing between planes. It appears that some of the LCC prefer to cancel rather than suffer delays. So who knows what will happen in two days time. Just checkin on time and hope for the best.

Madrid
reviews: 7
6. Re: Fog at manchester airport

how bad does it have to be for fights to be cancelled or delayed?

Runway visual range of 125 meters for B747 and similar widebodies and 75 meters for B757 and similar narrowbodies.

The equipment at the airport has to be working,the airport must be using Low Visibility Proceedures,the aircraft equipment must be servicable and the crew must be suitably qualified and current.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Fog at manchester airport

Ok, thank you. Our airports can't cope with a little bit of frost, thought I should ask. I think you put my mind at rest.

My only concern now is my camera bag is 0.3cm over 20cm. I know how tight ryanair are.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
8. Re: Fog at manchester airport

Some technical details if you are interested: …wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrument_landing_system

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 40
9. Re: Fog at manchester airport

Ethan , stop fretting

Your flight will be fine, its a bit of mist that's all.

Nothing unusual and its not going to be a pea souper

Might be a slight delay, but that can happen any day.

Contrary to popular myth and publicity, Ryanair aren't as bad as myself and others would have you believe

Your bag will be fine just as long as it is the only bag that you are carrying on

I have flown with Ryanair with a squash able soft bag which when measured would be more than 20cm wide, but I don't overfill it so it can be squeezed.

it has never been measured in three or four flights anyway.

Just keep a pound coin to hand during the flight

In case the oxygen masks drop down!

10. Re: Fog at manchester airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 10, 2014