We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA ... last resort

London, United...
reviews: 57
BA ... last resort

What expectations should do we have on flight cancel due to technical reasons. Next flight out on BA was 4 days later.

I was disappointed at BA’s behaviour when they cancelled BA0106 on Sunday 6th Jan. My wife and 7 year old daughter were returning to UK to start school on Tuesday 8th. The next BA availability was 10th. Despite being booked in Club, the best BA offered was overnight stay .. no food compensation. At one stage the option was Holiday Inn Express.. take it of leave it. The lady dealing with my wife was great.. her manager however rejected the suggestions and somewhat terse.

I’ve moved most of my flights to Emirates or other regional Airlines due to their superior service and importantly, respect and caring for passengers. When similar happened in Qatar Airlines, we had full board at five star hotel in Doha. Emirates make a lot more effort.

BA will be my last resort…i will soon be returning my BA charge card as soon as the last companion voucher is used.. Need to look at what recourse I have in terms of Holiday Insurance

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: BA ... last resort

As you were flying with an EU carrier the cancellation could be covered by EU261/2004 although I have no doubt that BA will claim "extraordinary circumstances". Start by reading this which sets out BAs obligations and your rights.

…europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: BA ... last resort

According to FlightStats and FlightAware, BA106 (DXB-LHR) operated on time on Sunday January 6th.

http://bit.ly/Uws9d6

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW106

" (BA) British Airways 106 (DXB) Dubai, AE to (LHR) London, EN, GB

Last change to status more than 3 hours ago

DEPARTURE

Scheduled Departure: 2:55 AM - Sun Jan-6-2013

Actual Departure: 2:54 AM - Sun Jan-6-2013

ARRIVAL

Scheduled Arrival: 6:40 AM - Sun Jan-6-2013

Actual Arrival: 6:29 AM - Sun Jan-6-2013

Arrival Terminal: 5

Baggage Claim: N/A "

Edited: 3:37 pm, January 07, 2013
3. Re: BA ... last resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:55 pm, January 07, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
4. Re: BA ... last resort

You're talking in the past tense yet I assume your wife is still stranded? Has she asked to be rerouted on a partner (or even non-partner) airline?

Edited: 3:48 pm, January 07, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
5. Re: BA ... last resort

Aahh! The cancelled flight was actually today's flight on January 7th. The incoming flight (LHR-DXB, BA105) on the 6th was cancelled. So the OP was probably informed of the cancellation on 6th.

Setting compensation aside, BA owes you duty of care, which means hotel accommodation for the length of your delay (all 4 nights), including food vouchers. They will usually provide this from a block booking of rooms negotiated at contract rates.

They should also offer " (b) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at the earliest opportunity; or (c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats." (Article 8) - eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

That means they should have at least tried to rebook you on alternative flights, including if necessary on other carriers. EK, VS and BI also fly that route, and of course others may have been found with one stops. Did BA try to do this?

Edited: 3:54 pm, January 07, 2013
6. Re: BA ... last resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, January 08, 2013
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
7. Re: BA ... last resort

Holiday Inn Express has comfy beds and good sized rooms. It is not a 5star by any means but it is quite livable.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
8. Re: BA ... last resort

"If this is made up, that's just sad and slightly disturbing."

Why? I'd be miffed as well if I was that I'd had to stay at a hotel for 4 nights before I could go home. If BA wanted to, they could almost certainly reroute the OP's wife and daughter.

London, United...
reviews: 22
9. Re: BA ... last resort

An,,,I did not see usbts correction,,,thought either I was going nuts there or everyone else was!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
10. Re: BA ... last resort

Well the OP did say " .... cancelled BA0106 on Sunday 6th Jan", so it's logical to check that date. As it happens, 106 has a 2:55am departure so the OP may well have found out the day or evening before on 6th.

And, note 106 is a 744-70J, meaning they would have had 70 CW pax to reroute. Not impossible, though tough, but they should have tried.

Edited: 5:04 pm, January 07, 2013