We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 137
Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

I plan to go to the USA in April, flying to Orlando, New York, and San Francisco.

I plan to book a return flight from Melbourne to Orlando.

As San Francisco is the last city of my trip, it makes no sense to return to Orlando to get over to LAX and back on to Australia.

Can I just make my way down to LAX from San Francisco and miss the Orlando-LAX flight and still get on the plane OK?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
1. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

No. If you miss a segment all your downward flights will be cancelled and you will have to buy a one-way last minute ticket. You are better off now to call up and pay the change fee to get it right.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 32
2. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

No you cant. Lots and lots of other threads here about this.

Anyway why would you book such a crazy itinerary in the first place?

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 35
3. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

Possibly the cheapest way would be to book Melbourne to New York return. Then do Orlando as a domestic flight. Skip San Francisco and the west coast until next time and stick with the east cost. Maybe do Washington instead.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 238
4. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

If I understand you correctly, this is really quite simple. Do an open jaw Sydney to Orlando, returning from San Fran (or LA if you wish). Then book a domestic open jaw Orlando to New York/New York to San Fran.

There's nothing unusual about that at all.

Good luck.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
5. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

Or buy a Sydney-LAX return fare and a 4 sector North American airpass.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 137
6. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

I'm meeting a friend in Orlando then we're going to New York together, then I've got a conference in San Francisco I could always meet her direct in New York, return with her to Orlando afterwards and go to SF from there.

7. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, January 07, 2013
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
8. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

You could perhaps look into a round trip Melbourne to Orlando, with a stopover on the way back in SFO. Then pick up a domestic round trip Orlando to NYC to travel with your friend.

UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

Hi, this is where a good travel agent helps. Tell them what you want and then see what they can come up with for your intinery.

I also know that Qantas have a multi city option on their website, that may help also.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
10. Re: Can I skip an internal leg to pick up my flight home?

The only leg of a flight you can skip without (many) problems is the final leg, if you skip an earlier leg then all subsequent legs are cancelled.

I would be looking at a multi-city Melbourne-Orlando & San Francisco-Melbourne with separate internal flights Orlando-New York and New York-San Francisco as then you can use some of the low costs airlines within the US.

You might find however booking it as one Melbourne-Orlando-New York-San Francisco-Melbourne multi-city ticket works out cheaper