We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

reviews: 5
Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

They have cancelled my inbound flight because apparently I was a 'no show'. Thing is I was on the aircraft. The man at boarding was having a laugh with his colleagues and gave me the wrong section of my boarding pass. The bigger piece. As a frequent flier I knew something was wrong and told him three times he had made a mistake. He didn't even look at me so I picked up my passport and the card and got on the plane.

Anyway Sri Lankan now have no record of me being on the plane despite the fact I can prove I was at heathrow then colombo with an immigration time stamped visa around 12 hours later. I assume the boarding pass issue at heathrow must be the reason for my no show.

I have called them and my agent and sent multiple emails. They are now ignoring me. My agent said I was not telling the truth.

Seems to me that if Sri Lankan have no idea who is on their flights then its quite a serious security breach and should be investigated. I just want to get home.

Anybody have any ideas how I proceed from here?

UK
reviews: 89
1. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

Does your travel insurance include legal services? I would start with them. They may be able to buy you a flight back. Otherwise you'll have to buya flight yourself and then start legal proceedings when you get back to the UK I think.

Ps do you still have your luggage tags, eg those long print outs outs that they put on the handles?

Edited: 6:40 am, January 06, 2013
reviews: 5
2. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

Very good point. My girlfriend has travel insurance with her bank which covers her travel companion (me). I've just checked, as much as I can on my phone in the back of a truck innthe mountains, and it appears to be 'full' insurance. So I guess I'm in luck.

I only ever carry hand luggage so I don't have luggage tags.

To them it's black and white. I sort of understand that. From my point of view I can prove my passport was used in heathrow then colombo and no other flights went in that time window.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

I would suggest you visit or call SriLankan Airlines in Colombo.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 138
4. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

Good luck! Please let us know the result.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 121
5. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

I wonder how they explain the fact that they actually have part of your boarding pass, despite them saying you never turned up for the flight ?

Best of luck getting home

Edited: 8:33 am, January 06, 2013
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

The stub could have been thrown away as they may have thought it was forgotten by a passenger.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
7. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

What a bizzare story, I'm interested to know how it will all pan out let us know the outcome but if at all possible I would go to their office in Colombo as it would be better than just phoning.

norfolk
reviews: 30
8. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

i'm not sure the boarding card is the problem. i have no idea which bit i am supposed to get back. because it seems totally random in practice. but i have never had my return cancelled due to a 'no show'.

usually, at heathrow, the bar code on your boarding card is swiped by the gate staff. i would imagine yours was not.

you might ask them to justify their cabin headcount procedure, if you really did manage to fly AND be a 'no show'.

pam

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
9. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

The manifest should have matched the manual headcount, unless they miscounted!

Scotland
reviews: 12
10. Re: Sri Lanka Airline denies I was on flight.

If it was at LHR, you can always try submitting a SAR under the DPA to BAA for any and all information they hold relating to you, including CCTV footage from the gate.

May not help in time for your return leg, but could be a useful evidential base for future action.