We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

Chatham
reviews: 9
Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

Planning a trip London to Los Angeles in July/August, does anyone have experience of the new Air New Zealand Premium Economy ?

Those seats look seriously sexy !

How does it compare with Virgin ?

Brisbane Aus
reviews: 129
1. Re: Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

Haven't flown P/E on Virgin but have flown P/E on Air NZ.

We really enjoyed the service, leg room and menu. Would recommend.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 37
2. Re: Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

We're tried to book P/E with ANZ MEL-SFO later this month. However, ANZ don't have P/E on their MEL-AUK flights so we would be Econ that 3.5hr leg.

We then tried to book Business to AUK but although there's 2 hours b/w flights, ANZ wouldn't book our luggage thru and told us there wasn't enough time to go thru customs and check-in for the second P/E leg so, they wouldn't sell us the ticket.

The answer is an airport hotel overnight at MEL, an early morning Emirates Business flt to AUK, a 5hr lay-over, then onto the ANZ P/E to SFO - Crazy, but at least it is cheaper than the ANZ ticket.

Hope the flt is better than their customer service. Disappointed with the process so far

Brisbane Aus
reviews: 129
3. Re: Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

Our flight from Bne to Auckland was in economy but as we were flying P/E from Auk to LA we were given exit door seats on both legs. Is that a possibility for you Frodo1?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
4. Re: Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

I've not flown Air NZ's PE product, only their Business Class. I have flown Virgin Atlantic's PE a few times, including recently.

I did though have a careful look at the seats and space of ANZ's PE while on a flight, however, to see whether I'd consider it another time. It looked pretty comparable to the Virgin product.

You are specifically asking regarding flying from London to LAX. I would, if the cost is OK for you, use ANZ everytime. Reasons: Even if the seats are the same, ANZ service is way, way better than VS's cabin service in my view. Also, now they've rebuilt part of the terminal, ANZ flies into a much smaller and better organised terminal at LAX so you will get through all the arrival (and departure) procedures much faster with less queuing at the LA end.

My brother in law who almost commutes between London and LA for work always prefers to fly ANZ for these reasons, over and above any and all of the other, umpteen airlines who fly between those two cities.

SWT

Chatham
reviews: 9
5. Re: Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

SussexWorldtraveller - Thank you for those comments, you may well have persuaded us to go ANZ.

Edited: 6:18 am, January 05, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 37
6. Re: Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

The seats may look sexy but they aint flat bed! If dosh wasn't an issue I'd fly Qatar Business. Although I usually fly Business, last year (because I was using FF points with Qantas) I could only get P/E to the UK from Melbourne via Sydney/ Singapore. Had the P/E exit row on the top level of the A380 and it was really good. If you can't afford flat-bed, P/E is MUCH better than Econ and ANZ has a good rep. We've decided to go ANZ P/E to SFO because we really don't like paying so much when we are travelling multiple times on long haul. Try for the exit row, regardless of the plane.

7. Re: Premium Economy, Anz. vs Virgin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 07, 2014