We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

Bedfordshire
reviews: 13
 Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

I have collected Avios points from my bank for some years now (used to be called Air miles) and have enough to use them for a short holiday for my wife and myself. However I see that I have to contribute money towards any flight and a "money saver" optional payment which apparently covers fees and taxes. Does anyone else use Air Miles and are they good value? Am I really getting something of value for my points or is it debatable?

14 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

There's another thread on the front page on this topic:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5500006…

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

Basically they're terrible value on some options, excellent value on others. It all depends on the destination and class of travel. Be a bit more specific about where you are looking to travel and you'll get better answers.

Bedfordshire
reviews: 13
3. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

Thanks for the replies. I collect Avios points simply because I use the Lloyds TSB Bank Amex UK cards that have that option. To date I have never used them and now hold about 28000 which is not a huge amount but might give us a flight somewhere warm. Reading the previous thread mentioned above I guess it's all a bit dubious unless flying in the USA. All I wanted was a short break for 2 somewhere in Europe but saw the "add ons" on their website and was suspicious of the final cost. I guess you have to check carefully all the small print first for each destination then check the scheduled air fare and taxes and compare. However I am not surprised at all the negative comments regarding Avios points which makes depressing reading. I just thought someone might have a more positive take on them. Perhaps not.

Edinburgh, United...
4. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

28000 Avios is enough for two return flights to any zone 1 destinations from the UK (includes Prague, Paris, Berlin and others). With 2000 more points you can get to zone 2 destinations (includes Rome, Venice, Vienna and others). There's a £15 flat fee per way so essentially you'd be paying £30 per return ticket + the relevant number of Avios. Of course, you'll have to find flights that have reward availability.

I think they can be great value for European flights, especially as I'm usually flying from Edinburgh and the domestic connection is free.

Edited: 11:52 am, January 04, 2013
Anglesey
reviews: 27
5. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

I have used airmiles/avios for years. I used to use them for US flights but now I can find better deals without them. But for Europe they are great value. Just booked a flight to Prague for £30 - cant beat that.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 100
6. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

We have also used Avios (Air Miles) extensively in the last 8 years also going from Edinburgh.

However, I recently asked Avios why there were so few flights available for Edinburgh to Heathrow for connecting flights to Europe. Their response was that they are now using a smaller plane resulting in very limited availability.

So I have to question whether its worth perservering with them.

Edinburgh, United...
7. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

There are seats on most flights from EDI to LHR on almost every date. So not sure where you see the limited availability.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 100
8. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

You're quite right Lex. There is now an abundance of flights.

When I looked in November 2012 for June and September flights there was very little availablilty hence my communication with Avios and their response.

Yorkshire
reviews: 59
9. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

I have just been on the BA site to check the price of a floight using part cash part points. I was told that if I spend £63 to purchase a further 3000 points I could move to the next price band and save ......... £30 !!!!

Am I missing something here or have they got complete morons working out these figures.

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?

Not morons, just a computer.

Reply to:  Avios points for flights! Good value or not?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions