We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetblue trueblue points DO expire!

reviews: 1
Jetblue trueblue points DO expire!

After years of accumulating 5,000+ points, they all expired because I didn't fly last year. You apparently have to fly once a year to keep them active. (Or use their credit card which I wasn't approved for last year). I get a zillion emails from jetblue. One warning me they were about to expire would have been nice. After calls and emails with jetblue. All they said was "sorry, hope your day gets better." I would have booked my trip a week earlier had I known. The website is misleading because it says "points that don't expire." The fine print that you have to hunt for states differently. I want my points back!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: Jetblue trueblue points DO expire!

Hi,

"The website is misleading because it says "points that don't expire." The fine print that you have to hunt for states differently. I want my points back!"

==> I see where you're coming from.. I see they DO say, on the main TrueBlue page/section of their site that "Points that don't expire3"

.. BUT...

.. there IS that notation "3" to the side as well..

... and at the bottom pretty clear language states that "Points don't expire as long as you earn points through flying JetBlue or through the use of the JetBlue Card from American Express on eligible purchases at least once in a 12-month period. Eligibility and timing are based upon the date the TrueBlue points are credited to your TrueBlue account from one of these qualifying activities."

Is that misleading? I think that's a matter of opinion of course, but I would note that the "3" notation is listed on that same page as the leading claim, and it's in reasonably easy to read font/point and in reasonably understandable language...

On the "fine print" side, I personally think JetBlue actually does a little better job than most carriers in this regard..

Like most programs, they do speak directly to it.. but in JetBlue's case, they dedicate one entire section to this issue in their Terms and Conditions. It's not really buried' within one of the 11 other T&C Sections..

Section 5 does pretty clearly spell this out:

"5. Points Expiration

5.1 Points will not expire provided a member is "active". A member is considered "active" when: (i) a Member earns Points from purchasing and flying a JetBlue flight or purchasing and completing a JetBlue Getaways vacation package within the last 12 months ... Each qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all Points by 12 months from the date of the last Point issuance. Once a Member is deemed inactive, all Points will expire. Inactive Members may not be eligible forand/or may not receive notification of TrueBlue changes, promotions, or other electronic mailings about TrueBlue. JetBlue reserves the right to determine when Members are active or inactive."

JetBlue:

https:/…terms-and-conditions

I don't see a lot of room here for you to make any claims-- so long as JetBlue has correctly recoded your activity to your account.

They do reserve several rights which don't help your cause..

Section 5, last sentence "JetBlue reserves the right to determine when Members are active or inactive."

... as well as Section 9, which gives them very broad discretion to alter the program in any manner they deem appropriate and with no notice except for the termination, in which a six (6) month notice window is required.

I think your best bet here is to write a nicely worded, polite *request* for reinstatement and outline reasons why your case merits discretionary action. I might highlight past loyalty to JetBlue and other reasons why they might want to make an exception here.

I personally don't think the argument of "I want my points back" has merit, as based on the information you've presented and what I can see on their site, it appears that they're going to be in the correct/right here.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 8:10 am, January 03, 2013
Magog, Canada
reviews: 550
2. Re: Jetblue trueblue points DO expire!

Clearly misleading.

3. Re: Jetblue trueblue points DO expire!

Thanks! I found everything you stated but no one should have to hunt for it. I wrote letters to jetblue, spoke to them, tweeted, Facebooked, this was the last avenue. I understand they have the right to do as they wish. But the points signify "loyal customer" and jetblue has basically showed that doesn't matter. I am bombarded with emails from them daily. A simple notation in my monthly statement would have been helpful. I was told on the phone they do send out reminders even though they're not required to. They just didn't send one to me! I would have booked my trip a week earlier, saved my points, and they would have had a sale of two tickets. Now they have nothing. Not smart business. They did me a favor. I won't fly their airline exclusively anymore.

I do appreciate your response. Thank you.

4. Re: Jetblue trueblue points DO expire!

Jetblue has worked with me to find a resolution for which I am satisfied. I just wish they would have been more accommodating from the beginning. But I am very thankful nevertheless.

5. Re: Jetblue trueblue points DO expire!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, January 06, 2014