We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

Tempe, Arizona
I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

1. TO change your ticket, forget about it. You will be on line holding more than 1.5hrs then they will charge you 24-35% of your ticket cost to change the ticket, even though you paid more as FLEX ticket.

2. If you be late more than 2 hours before departure, you might loose your ticket based on availablitliy. They once sold my ticket last year to a standby passenger when I arrived 1.5 hours prior to my departure to Guadalajara from Mexicali.

9 replies to this topic
seattle
reviews: 2
1. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

What you are claiming makes no sense. I suggest you contact their customer service people. In general, for years nearly all airlines charge you to change the ticket. Even Southwest won't let you take an earlier flight on the same day without paying the highest fare. This never made sense to me since if I flew earlier Southwest would at least have another seat on the later flight to try to sell prior to departure to make more money. Volaris has been rated the best low cost carrier in Latin America for the past couple of years as I recall. They're not perfect, and so I encourage you to contact them.

Edited: 1:05 am, January 03, 2013
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
2. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

Every airline has a check-in cutoff. It is published on their website. It may make no sense to you, but it is not a secret. If they say 2 hours--then you, when purchasing the ticket made a contract that agreed to those terms.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
3. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

Why on earth would you wait 1.5 hours for someone to answer your call?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
reviews: 10
4. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

"Why on earth would you wait 1.5 hours for someone to answer your call?"

Not enough staff to answer the phones would be my guess.

BA still hold my record - three hours on hold. Since it was for my boss and he and family were flying the next day, I had no option but to hang on to get his question answered. All I can say is (1) thank goodness for a phone headset and (2) you very quickly stop believing that "your call is important to us".

San Diego...
reviews: 1
5. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

Due to my mother's death I had to change my reservation on Volaris to two days earlier. long wait on hold and sometimes the phone was just busy. Finally changed the flight BUT was not told I WOULD NOT GET ANY CREDIT FOR THE FIRST TICKET I PURCHASED. JUST GOT BILLED FOR BOTH TICKETS TO THE SAME DESTINATION ON TWO SEPARATE DAYS. ALSO THEY DIDN'T CREDIT MY SHUTTLE TRIP FROM TIJUANA TO SAN DIEGO AND HAD TO BUY IT AGAIN. When I called to their customer service another long wait and refusal to refund any money at all. When I told them I was therefore paying twice for the same ticket I was hung up on. This airline really sucks!!! I have contacted my credit card and hopefully they will refund one of the two tickets. NEVER USE VOLARIS AGAIN!! TERRIBLE AIRLINE!!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
6. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

Larry_stpete,

Almost any other airline would do the same thing for non-refundable, non-changeable tickets -- which are what most of us buy rather than the more expensive options.

Yes, once in a while, an airline agent might make an exception in a moment of kind-hearted discretion, but most airlines will follow their terms & conditions of carriage, which are available when booking. We think that in the instance of death or serious illness, we should be able to get a refund or change tickets, but it just isn't so. Situations like this are what trip insurance is for.

And yes, to OP regarding #2 -- the check-in deadline is precise. Computer systems close, so if you are late, you can't check in. Being aware of the deadline & getting to check-in (and boarding gate) well in advance of cutoff time means you will get on the flight.

www.theoptimistictraveler.com

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

Larry,

My condolences to you and your family. However, as redhead47 says, virtually all airlines have the same policy with regards to non-refundable and/or non-changeable tickets. Some US carriers have compassion/emergency fares and rules, and some will apply those retroactively. So you could look to see if Volaris has something similar and whether it would be of any value (personally I don't think these compassion fares are of much value).

Other than that, this is what travel insurance is for.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
8. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

Larry--you had two tickets. Why shouldn't you get billed twice for them? The reality is, airlines are a business. They are not capable of sorting out who is telling the truth and who is lying. So, they don't offer the discounts they did years and years ago. I used to teach and I had students who buried a grandparent overseas one to two times a year. Over the course of 6 years in the school that it 6-10 grandparents. Most of us have only 4! You explain it.

Also, caps is considered shouting. Why are you shouting at us?

Hanau, Germany
reviews: 8
9. Re: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris

My daughter could claim 8 grand parents, her fathers dad plus second wife, her fathers mother plus second husband, my husbands parents and then my parents, if I now count in the parents of my ex husbands wife I'm up to ten ;)), so it's possible rdglady.

Reply to: I had two differen bad experience with Volaris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted