We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

essex
reviews: 28
24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

A Sandals package holiday, flights with virgin. Plane delayed cos of technical difficulties.

Who is responsible for loss of nights/days holiday ? And inconvenience caused by virgin not informing us of delay ( when they knew the night before !)

Any help appreciated

Castleford, United...
reviews: 56
1. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

A few years ago, our flight was delayed 24 hours. The airline paid for hotel and food. Our travel insurance paid for the delay.

Madrid
reviews: 7
2. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

EU261/2004 will tell you what you can claim,basically 600 Euro each.The airline is not responsible for the consequential loss of your holiday,you need to claim on your travel insurance for this.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

Not Sandals fault if the flight was delayed. If your claiming EU compensation you need to take it up with the airline.

surrey
reviews: 25
4. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

Where is the benefit in booking a package holiday - as in Jalousiegirl's case if they don't take care of you in a case like this? Wasn't the contract to get her there made between Sandals and Virgin - therefore shouldn't it be up to sandals to compensate her having themselves obtained compensation from the airline? I know travel insurance covers me for travel delays when I book flights and hotels independently but aren't package holidays different?

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
5. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

From other posts the OP was given an overnight hotel, a meal, breakfast vouchers and Sandals have offered them two free nights.

If there is a claim for EU compensation it is against the airline, not the tour operator. If they just want to try for a 'goodwill gesture' for lost holiday day and inconvenience then it needs taking up with Sandals.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 84
6. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

What is travel insurance for? That covers her airline delay and loss of a night at Sandals but not stress and anguish from what she went thru.....!!??

Melbourne
reviews: 1
7. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

I'm tipping there would have been far greater "stress and anguish" had they flown on an unsafe plane and it went down in a spectacular fireball.

essex
8. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

I do know that !

I just want a fair refund for my loss of days holiday.

And STRESS - at spending the whole weekend at gatwick airport !

We have other complaints with the Sandals hotel - which wasn't up to standard - and all we have got is sorry and two free nights - we don't want to return to a Sandals hotel !

Virgin have only said sorry too, I gave sent the standard letter for the flight compensation, thEY have ignored it - I have now contacted the CAA

My five star travel insurance - only paid for expenses while delayed ! £17.30 in my case !

Virgin, yes did put us up again overnight ( we were 3hours away from home), yes they supplied us with meals ( school dinner type), YUM, but we were supposed to be on holiday !

Yes yes, plane safety is paramount - but I only want a fair refund as i said earlier - virgin should at least offer us the total of the price of the extra night price in the brochure and for the inconvenience and stress! And tears I might add. Oh and we lived in the same clothes for the whole weekend . All they offered at the airport was air miles which I wasn't interested in and i have not registered them.

essex
9. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

I just don't know ! Doesn't fill you with any confidence when you book a holiday does it !

I have also been contacted by a couple - who found out early enough, to book the BA flight which went out about an hour and half later that morning,Virgin told them they would be refunded - they went ahead - now Virgin are refusing to refund . ! They are fuming as I would be, it really does feel like your hitting your head against a brick wall - how can they get away with it ?

Castleford, United...
reviews: 56
10. Re: 24 hour delay, 28/10/12, VS31 to St Lucia

It seems you have two seperate complaints. One is with Virgin and the other with Sandals. They would have to be dealt with seperately.

Also, i don't have 5 star travel insurance and they sure pay out more than you were paid.

When we had a delay, we had a 1 1/2 year old with us. Now, that was a nightmare. But, we just didn't get all wound up about it. Life is too short.

I hope your issues are resolved for your own peace of mind.