We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

Park Ridge, Illinois
Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

When I booked my ticket to mexico in Aug. I did not have my passport. My proper name is Susan. My ticket says Sue. will this be an issue I contacted the airlines in Oct to let them know that it was different.

42 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

"will this be an issue" - probably yes as the names on the ticket/passport should match.

Contact the airline to get them to amend the ticket although you might have to pay a change fee.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
2. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

That could very well be an issue. If the airline won't reissue for free then you should pay the change fee. It's not like it's one letter off, it's a differeent name (although most would know it's short for Susan), but they don't have to let you board or get through customs and airlines don't have to let you on if they don't want to for that error. Have you asked the airline to change and what the fee would be?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
3. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

It is important for everyone to remember --passports are issued in your legal name, the one on your birth certificate ( or the one on your marriage certificate if you changed your name with marriage) --or the one on your citizenship papers if you are naturalized! THAT is the name to book tickets in--even if you never ever ever, use the real name--NOW you will!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 63
4. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

yup, agree with rdg, customs, passport control, name on passport should all match, no abbreviations or added initials.....it has to be perfect or it will be an issue.

kentucky
reviews: 37
5. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

Seriously, Sue, do you really think Sue is the same as your legal name, SUSAN?

Did you do any research before you applied for your passport? What name did you use then? Or prior to making a rservation? Did you just realize this--no--you knew this in October!

What are you going to do? When are you flying?

Edited: 6:48 pm, January 01, 2013
Shelbyville...
6. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

To avoid any unnecessary hassles, contact the airlines and change the name even if there is a fee. Consider it a life lesson and move on. Any travel or legal document needs your legal name.

Have a great trip!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
7. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

Just to calm things down, I managed to travel from Portland to Vancouver on a ticket showing "Nick" when my passport shows "Nicholas". However, it may be relevant that the passenger information held on the airline's system for the booking showed "Nicholas".

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
reviews: 38
8. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

I have 3 names on my birth certificate. I have forever had a passport in 2 names (no concern or problem with the counter staff at the passport office, although she did try last time to cajole me into using all 3) and book all tickets in two names. American citizens may be required to have their passport issued the way their birth cert is written, don't know.

A passport is not a legal document. At least not in my country. (I cannot use it to get a driver's licence, apply for gov't benefits or buy property). It is an extremely valuable official document, permit, authorization (in booklet form) that certifies your identity and citizenship. The legal docs are the papers you use to apply for a passport. It would be interesting to know which countries insist on the birth cert name for the passport.

But bottom line, because few people take their birth cert along on their travel, is that the names in the PP and on the tix match.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 40
9. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

<<<Seriously, Sue, do you really think Sue is the same as your legal name, SUSAN?>>>

Some names are accepted abbreviations - Sue for Susan or Suzanne is one of them, so is Dave for David, or Tim for Timothy.

Now my daughter-in-law goes by Reece but her real name is Larissa. BIG difference and she knows to use her full legal name when she travels.

It is worth changing if you can though. Just for peace of mind because as this thread proves - there are a lot of people out there who like to make life difficult for you :(

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
10. Re: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket

". Just for peace of mind because as this thread proves - there are a lot of people out there who like to make life difficult for you :("

No, there are a lot of people out there who would rather you be told the probable consequences now, then hear it at the airport because denied boarding IS really making life difficult.

Reply to: Proper name on passport abbreviated or nickname on ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted