We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

Drummore
One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cape Town, from Glasgow in November. Price wise and arrival time, KLM seems to be the best option for us.

I am concerned though about the connection time in Amsterdam, one hour and ten minutes between the Glasgow flight landing and the Cape Town flight departing, it seems to be cutting things a bit fine to me. KLM obviously think it is possible.

We are presuming that we will not have to go through Immigration at Amsterdam, just make our way to the departure gate for the next flight.

Has anyone had a similar experience with KLM and what kind of distance is it between where you land and the next departure gate.

Thanks.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
1. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

Don't know the distance you will have but if flights are on time it's do-able. AMS is very efficient, albeit large. I trust that it's a single through ticket on KLM so that if you do misconnect, it's KLM's responsibility to get you there. But in general, I would not be concerned about the connecting time.

If you have an option on an earlier light and longer layover, AMS is a fantastic airport with outstanding shopping.

Good luck.

Scotland
reviews: 12
2. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

Yes, certainly possible at AMS - but not much margin for error (as you realise).

Is the flight from GLA one of the KL mainline flights (operated by a 737), or a Cityhopper flight (operated by a Fokker)?

If the latter, you will be parked at a remote stand and bussed to the terminal... and if you also have the misfortune to land on the Polderbaarn runway (which is so far from the terminal, it's practically in Belgium!), then your connection could be very tight (and your bags might not make it even if you do).

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

It's definetly doable, but it's tight, and as others said, no room for error, particularly when weather can be bad in November across Europe, meaning planes can be delayed.

If one ticket, then the airline needs to put you on the next flight with available seats,,,when ever that may be...if you miss your departure to Cape Town.

So understanding the subsequent flight departures is important to know what would happen should you get stuck at Amsters. How long may you have to wait for another flight?

Personally I prefer two hours for this type of connection but I am risk averse.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
4. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

As Scots_Al says, if you are unlucky enough to land on the Polderbaan runway, as we did last year, it can take 20 mins to get to stand! I remember remarking that we had spent longer taxiing than we had in the air from LHR!! We couldn't believe how far we had landed from the terminal.

Drummore
5. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

Thanks for the quick responses. The outward flights are by KLM, the return flight from Amsterdam to Glasgow is KLM Cityhopper, aircraft,Embraer 190, I wouldn't be concerned too much about the last flight.

We'd be booking direct with KLM so presume we'd be issued with one through ticket.

If we were to miss the connecting flight to Cape Town, the next one appears to be twenty four hours later, I'll have to check that out for certain though.

Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
6. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

The Cape town flight leaves at 10:05 so unfortunately the 06:00 GLA to AMS is your only option apart from flying in the night before and overnighting in Amsterdam. Cityhopper flights normally use remote stands and are bussed to the terminal at the head of pier D. The Cape Town flight will leave from Pier E or F so max 15 mins walk and no you don't need to clear immigration and security will be done at the gate. Probably there will still be lots of people queuing by the time you get there.

Not many other options if your flight is late as then next one the following morning and of course if that is full then you won't get on. There is a flight to Jo'burg at 10:20 but that means an overnight there before a flight to CApe Town the next morning.

Essentially you will make your flight if unless it it more than 40 mins late.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
7. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

I often have connections in AMS with an hour ,only missed one once. Coming from the UK you will not have to go through passport control and security is at the gate. Expect a 15 mins walk gate to gate. All my last last flights EDI-AMS have arrived ontime or early including landing on the Polderbaan, as the schedule has a cushion built in.

if you want less stress then see all connections on the KLM website and choose an earlier flight, depends how vital that 24 hours is to your holiday if something does go wrong

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 75
8. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

The other option might be to consider flying out of EDI as there seem to be more flights from there

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
9. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

We had 50 minutes and it was enough, your only problem would be if your Glasgow to amsterdam flight was late but the worse thing that could happen would be that they would put you up for the night in a hotel and give you food vouchers so I'd say it's worth the risk.

Drummore
10. Re: One hour,ten minutes connection in Amsterdam, possible??

Just an aside on this , my wife has been looking at other Airlines for a flight to Cape Town. Air France are offering the exact same flights and times, with KLM flight numbers, for £38 less than KLM itself. How can this be, and would there be down side to booking with Air France.

Thank you all who have responded.