We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

London, United...
reviews: 47
BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

I've been looking up short breaks to rome at end of january or middle of february. I generally use easyjet for this kind of trip, but out of curiosity I looked at BA.

I was astonished to find that I could get flights plus five nights at a four star hotel for two people for under £250 each. I was even more surprised when I noticed that the flights were Club Europe.

Admittedly, at the cheaper end, the hotels weren't exaxctly in the centre ....well, they weren't actually in Rome, to be honest. But at around £350 the hotels were city centre.

I found a couple of the the same hotels on EasyJet, where they were cheaper, but not by much. However, the BA price seems to include 23Kg baggage, free seat selection and in-flight food and drink.

Does anyone have any experience of these bookings? Are we liable to be shifted to a BA "partner" which has none of the advantages mentioned above?

The flights are from Gatwick, not Heathrow; I don't know whether that makes a difference.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
1. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

Not done a BA flight + hotel to Europe but have done this type of booking to Boston. Would highly recommend it. Worked out much cheaper than booking separately. The booking was for a 'run of house' room and we ended up with a suite which was a bonus. Definitely spend the extra on a central hotel. Remember flying Club Europe you will also be able to use the lounges. Sounds like a great deal.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

Was that on BA website?

surrey
reviews: 25
3. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

These great deals come and go - its sometimes cheaper to book the flight+hotel than to book the flight in CE on its own. You'll also get 5000 bonus Avios for booking the holiday - britishairways.com/travel/…en_gb - so if you're not already registered with the BA Executive Club you (and snyone else travelling with you) should do so then book through logging into your account - that way you'll get all the Avios you're entitled to.

You'll actually be entitled to 2 x 23kg luggage allowance each when travelling in CE and as advised you'll have lounge access at LGW so allow an extra hour to have a glass of champagne in there (you have to ask for it). You won't be shifted on to a partner airline - there isn't one on this route.

My advice is to go for it and enjoy your trip.

London, United...
4. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

Helshaw - "Sounds like a great deal."

Hans-den - "Was that on BA website?"

It does indeed sound like a very good deal. I'm just working my way through reviews of the available hotels.

The offers are on the BA website; if they hadn't been, I'd have been worried about them.

mw104 - "These great deals come and go - its sometimes cheaper to book the flight+hotel than to book the flight in CE on its own. You'll also get 5000 bonus Avios for booking the holiday "

I wasn't actually looking for CE - I was just surprised to see it at those prices. We fly only two or three times a year, exclusively for holidays, and usually with Thomson, Thomas Cook or EasyJet, so it's not really worth registering for anything. However, it will certainly be nice to try priority check-in, fast lane security and the BA Lounge <g>.

I've seen mention of Avios on this forum, but I've no idea what they are.

However, it certainly proves what various FMs have said in the past - the budget airlines aren't always the cheapest, when you take extras into account.

Edited: 10:13 am, January 01, 2013
surrey
reviews: 25
5. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

Avios are the BA frequent flyer miles - basically you earn them on every flight but you can also get them by say converting Tesco Clubcard vouchers. For this trip you would earn 1347 Avios each way plus the 5000 bonus which makes a total of 7788 per person. The cheapest return reward flights in terms of Avios is 9000 Avios +£30 so you can see that from just this trip you would have nearly enough for a free Returnflight each to say Prague or Nice - of course if there is reward availability. They also do avios + cash deal where you just pay a bit more than the £30 and a reduced amout of avios.You may of course do another BA trip within the next 3 years whilst the Avios are still active now that you've discovered hat a good deal they can be. So it is always worth signing up - it's free to join.

Edited: 10:24 am, January 01, 2013
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 48
6. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

I have booked BA holidays (flight and accommodation) to European cities & Abu Dhabi for excellent prices. I have received free nights and complimentary upgrades to half board and the cost of the holiday was substantially cheaper than other tour operators or booking direct with the hotel. When the holidays is booked you also print out a ATOL certificate which confirms your money is protected by the ATOL scheme in the unlikely event the company collapses. Enjoy Rome!!

uk
reviews: 134
7. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

You're safe to book, and what you'll get will be BA fligyhts + BA selected hotela - we did this to Athens and elsewhere e.g. New York and the value/quality is excellent.

I fly BA perhaps 8-10 times a year, and almost always find that the prices/times are better than those of easyjet once luggage costs etc are factored in.

Go for it, and snap up the Club Europe upgrade offer while it's around.

Make sure you join the BA executive club before making your booking so that you can rack up the tier points and miles.

Edited: 11:22 am, January 01, 2013
Salisbury, United...
reviews: 55
8. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

Yes I have done this with BA to Pisa, it was a great deal and travelling in Club Europe was cheaper than economy! The hotel was good, so all in all a great deal.

Go for it.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 105
9. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

I have booked Flight + hotel with BA to London quite a few times when it's worked out cheaper than Easyjet and wouldn't hesitate to do so again especially as you say you have 23kg free luggage.

London, United...
10. Re: BA flight + hotel - any hidden snags?

Thanks for all the replies :

mw104 and jeremy : I'll definitely read up about the BA executive club; I had the impression that it was only for high frequency fliers. And I'll look into the conversion of Tesco Clubcard vouchers - much better than using them for a few pound off groceries!

Alas, my wife has now decided we should look at barcelona as well - one of our favourite cities. BA do flight and hotel there, again good prices, but not Club Europe on the deals.