We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CDG layover time

San Francisco...
reviews: 2
CDG layover time

We are thinking of booking AF from LAX to Milan via CDG in September, but the connect time is either 90 minutes or 4 hours. We have to go from terminal 2 F to 2 E to get to Milan, and then the reverse on the way back.

We've flown into and out of CDG but have not had to make a connection before. Sitting around for 4 hours is not Our idea of fun, but neither is missing our flight! I'm assuming our luggage will be ticketed all the way to Lax (oh we're returning from FCO)

So which one should we choose? (we've decided on AF for a number of reasons, not the least of which is their reasonable fee for premium economy, and having our home airport as our first port of entry back to the USA)

As always, thanks for the advice!

San Francisco...
1. Re: CDG layover time

Oh and, happy new year everyone!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: CDG layover time

I would go for the 4 hour connection.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
3. Re: CDG layover time

It looks like 90 mins is the minimum allowable connection within T2, so technically you could do it. On a one ticket booking it might be worth the gamble on the basis that AF will have to look after you if you miss the connection. Only you know what your 'risk' tolerance is though......

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: CDG layover time

In both directions, you will have to go through the Schengen Area Passport Control at CDG. I would not risk a 90-minute connection, but it's your decision.

Boston...
reviews: 9
5. Re: CDG layover time

Absolutely choose the 4 hour option. No question.

Even though on paper it sounds like you'll be sitting around an airport for four hours, in reality it will be closer to two.

And that's a lot better than the anxiety of wondering if you'll miss the connecting flight. And if you do miss it, you may be sitting at CDG much longer than 2-4 hours.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 58
6. Re: CDG layover time

We are flying AF from ATL-CDG-LIS in May with a 100 minute layover, hour and 20 min, no checked baggage only carry on, flying in Bus straight thru and have called Delta twice with each time saying its doable, doesn't t help my worries tho.

London, United...
7. Re: CDG layover time

My experience of a tight change at CDG was very positive. My first plane was 45 minutes late and when I came round the corner and saw I had to clear security again my blood pressure hit the roof. However, all boarding cards are scanned on entry to the queue and my short change meant I was able to bypass the queue and clearing security took well under 5 minutes. That said, I had to run through the airport and it is large. Waiting for the silly monorail thing to move off was also very frustrating, I did however catch my plane so I can't really complain. I'd never seen the transfer security queue being sorted like that before, I'm more used to DBX where the running joke seems to be to take as long as possible. It was very efficient and I was impressed. I would never have caught the plane without it.

Arcadia, California
reviews: 20
8. Re: CDG layover time

I have connected several times 2E-2D and reverse with anywhere from 60 to 80 minutes layover and luggage making the connection as well. It is tight, but doable, as long as flights arrrive on time. I haven't been through 2F, but would opt for the 4 hours; for my next CDG transfer the choice was 65 minutes or 6 hours; I took the 6 hours.

San Francisco...
9. Re: CDG layover time

thanks everyone. i suspected that was the answer but was hoping you guys would say no no, 90 minutes is PLENTY! lol. so, 4 hours it is!

now, what are the chances AF will run a fare sale this month? LAX-VRN via CDG premium economy (returning FCO-LAX via CDG) is running around $1760 right now which seems really expensive.

oh yes and I am an idiot--my outbound destination is Verona not Milan (i was just now looking up LAX - MXP and wondering why i wasn't finding the flights!)

thanks again, i can always count on you guys.

10. Re: CDG layover time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, January 06, 2014