We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport is most accessible for NYC

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 29
Which airport is most accessible for NYC

Planning to fly into NYC from El Paso Texas. Prices and schedules for flights on Southwest and American are very similar but Southwest flies into Newark, AA flies into La Guardia.

Planning to stay either Upper Westside or Upper Eastside which airport do you think is most accessible by public transport ?

I am aware that either way we will have to catch either 2 trains or a bus and a train.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

I'd still go Newark. A quick train ride in and there you are. LGA is close to but it is a dump as far as I'm concerned.

Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 29
2. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

Thanks - that is my impression too - just wanted confirmation before we make an irreversible decision.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 192
3. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

LGA is for sure the least connected to quick public transportation.

South Jersey
reviews: 65
4. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

I lived in NYC for 40 years, if I were staying in the Upper East Side I would fly into LGA and take a taxi. If you are looking into rental apartments go over to the NYC forum and read the "Why are rentals a bad idea" thread.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 57
5. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

LGA is the closest and most convienient airport to Manhattan. Taxi rides should be less than $30.

If you don't have to be somewhere by a specific time, I would suggest just comparing options and picking the cheapest option including ground transit.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
6. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

I have lived in NYC my entire life ( more than 40 years) LGA is closer, there is a bus if you want BUT cabs are not expensive. I do NOT consider it to be a horrendous airport. If you said you were staying in lower Manhattan or Booklyn I would consider EWR, but otherwise....

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 57
7. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

I didn't know that Southwest flew into EWR at all??

I find EWR to be the easiest airport to use to get into NYC because the air train from the airport and then NJ transit is really a straight easy trip!

It gets you into midtown and then from there you can take a taxi wherever you want. You don't have to deal with traffic on the way into the city because you are on a train so the ride is quick.

White Plains, New...
reviews: 60
8. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

If you're staying on the Upper East Side then LGA would be my recommendation. It is easily and quickly accessible by taxi or even bus. If you're staying on the Upper West Side, I would still consider LGA as the first option and EWR as the second.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 37
9. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

These days who wants to fly AA??? I flew out of EWR with Southwest and the train connection to Penn Station in Manhattan is very good and on time.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 33
10. Re: Which airport is most accessible for NYC

Hey nozzie:-) If you're heading to the UWS, there's a bus from LGA, the M60 which will take you right there.. last stop is at 106th Street and Broadway.. from where you can connect to the M104 bus which runs along Broadway on the UWS..or hop on the subway! If you opt for EWR, you can take the subway as well from Penn Station at 34th Street.. the #1 heads Uptown locally.. or the Express #2 and #3 makes stops at both 72nd and 96th Streets.. depending on where on UWS you're going;-) Both airports would work.. for the UES, I'd personally opt for a cab.. if you'll be traveling in rush hour traffic, I'd call a car service for a flat rate since cabs from LGA run on meter.. both Carmel and Dial7 would fit the bill;-) Happy planning.. Happy New Year.. and enJOY!

Get answers to your questions