We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

legal stopover times for airport change

jersey
reviews: 19
legal stopover times for airport change

Hello

I've got a flight landing in EWR, and departing in JFK, 5 hours 15 mins later. Is that a 'legal' stopover, allowing sufficient airport change time, do you think?

Regards.

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

legal stopovers or mct's are airport related.

here u r changing airports.

5 hours might be right on the edge for a ewr-jfk transfer.

this has been discussed many times on the NYC forum

ask there.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
2. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

Hi,

It depends on the airline(s) in play.. If it's all on one carrier, then (obviously) that one carrier will determine that time. If it's two, then the two airlines will have collectively set that time based on local conditions.

That said, is this JFK inbound, EWR outbound truly a connection or is it a self-made connection via the purchase or use of two or more separate tickets?

Travel Safe,

jersey
3. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

Yea sorry, im flying into EWR, and flying out of JFK, both with American airlines, so i guess if there's a delay they will sort it so i don't miss the connection right?

South Pole
reviews: 39
4. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

so i guess if there's a delay they will sort it so i don't miss the connection, right"

i wouldn't be so sure.

did u book the ticket through AA or a 3rd party? hard to believe AA would book such a connection.

and as above is it one ticket or two separate ones?

Edited: 4:23 pm, December 31, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 58
5. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

Public Transportion, This is the cheapest and most reliable way since you won't have to deal with traffic at all, and traffic between EWR and JFK can be a big issue. It's also the least convenient because it involves taking 4 trains (3 transfers) which can be schlepp. In a nutshell, here's what you're going to do:

From EWR, take Airtrain to NJ Transit train station and transfer to..

...NJ Transit train to Penn Station NYC (not Penn Station Newark)

For information on how to do the above, see http://www.tripadvisor.com/TravelHome and scroll to the section about getting to Penn Station NY

Take the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) to the Jamaica Airtrain station and transfer to...

...Airtrain to JFK

about 90 min

bus express may be faster but you have traffic delays to worry about

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 335
6. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

What day of the week and what time of day? Agree that "legal connection time" is irrelevant in such a case. I also would doubt AA "would sort it out" unless you booked directly through them. You will, of course, have to haul your own bags to JFK. It sounds like you've already booked your ticket, so you have to make do, hopefully not contending with rush hour traffic. You should phone AA and ask what is the min. advance check-in time for your outoing flight, and, what happens if you don't make it. Is either flight an international flight?

jersey
7. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

Haha, i'm learning quite a bit here guys, thanks.

Yes, you're right i booked it with Opodo. I mistakingly selected the wrong o/w flights cos they did have some with only airplane changes (rather than airports). Of course, i was mad with myself for my own error of judgement, my fault, not Opodo's!

The flight is wednesday, and yes, i have decided on using trains. It is international to Lima, Peru, but i think i should be OK timewise if there arent any delays assuming a 2 hour min check in, right?

Edited: 5:06 pm, December 31, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 58
8. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

train, even tho they look difficult with several changes will be the quickest, usually can do it all in 90 min plus the time you have deplaning and getting bags......I think you will be ok...this time, just be more careful in the future before hitting that BUY button.

jersey
9. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

Thanks Stormy!

I'll be watching out for that 'buy' button next time for sure. happy new year to you and everyone else for their kind help.

10. Re: legal stopover times for airport change

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, January 06, 2014