We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

London, United...
Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

Basically, when I booked my ticket with Qatar Airways - being extra careful to get everything right - I put my first and middle name where it asked for 'given name' ('as appears on passport'). Now that I'm filling in the API form my name that I booked the ticket under is above (first, middle and surname) and it's asking for my middle name. I can tell already (and also saw that somebody else had this problem) that if I fill this in, it will probably come out repeating my middle name for my boarding pass or whatever. Should I just leave this field blank and expect it to take my full name (which matches what's on my passport) or actually risk entering one in the API form? I Cannot get an answer from any of Qatar airways numbers. I appreciate that it's the 31st of december but they're an airline so really would expect somebody to be on the phones....

Would appreciate any help from anybody who has been in the same situation or knows the right answer.

Thanks.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
1. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

You should input your name on the API form in accordance with how your name is presented on your passport. If your passport is showing your name in the different fields as First, Middle, Family Name, you should do the same for the form. Do not repeat your Middle Name.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
2. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

Whatever you input on the API form is not printed on your boarding pass.

Where are you flying to? Not all countries require API.

London, United...
3. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

I obviously didn't make myself clear -

Qatar airways open up a window for you to fill in the API - They only ask one question regarding your name "What is your middle name?" They obviously insert this in between the first and surname you have given when you booked your ticket. As I already gave both my given names when I booked my ticket then I can see that if I fill in my middle name on the API, it will then repeat it when it forwards this information (I can already see my full name above the API form eg. John Rupert Smith). I have seen a couple of other people have this problem on other forums but no solution.

This problem has come about exactly because I tried to put my exact name as given on my passport when booking the ticket in the first place. So frustrating it's unbelievable and of course, I cannot get an answer on any of Qatars phone numbers...

London, United...
4. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

I'm flying to Goa but changing at Qatar. They require an API for the transit as far as I can tell. Unless you know otherwise... It would be fantastic if they didn't as I could then forget about it and just get on with planning the rest of my journey. I cannot believe that in the year 2012 a website can give you this problem. Why on earth the API form doesn't just ask you to confirm your full name as on passport rather than just assemble it from what you've given when booking the ticket and the question "What is your middle name?" I'll never know...

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

I regularly transit in Doha. I have never filled in the API and have never been asked about API at check in or in transit.

In transit you don't even clear immigration - only security.

Saudi Arabia
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
reviews: 21
6. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

I go along with what Hans_DEN has stated above.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
7. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

API is required for India.

Redditch, United...
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Goa
reviews: 27
8. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

If you are having problems online, couldnt you just wait and let the check in staff do it at the airport?

Redditch, United...
Destination Expert
for Calangute, Goa
reviews: 27
9. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

Your name should already be on the page.

If you haven't got a middle name , leave it blank.

Fill in the rest of the form and click confirm at the bottom of the screen.

10. Re: Problem with Qatar Advanced Passenger Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 10, 2014