We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Layover time in Atlanta

Wigan, United...
reviews: 11
Layover time in Atlanta

Flying from Manchester to Orlando via Atlanta with Delta there is a choice of either a 1hr 30min layover or a 2hr 30min layover. Is the shorter layover cutting it a bit fine or is this normal?

Edited: 5:31 am, December 31, 2012
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

I wouldn't even consider a 1hr 30min layover - on arrival in Atlanta you have to clear US Immigration, collect bags, clear US Customs, hnd back bags for your connecting flight and get to the departure gate which probably requires you to go through airport security.

I normally allow 3 hrs for this process but you should be ok with the 2hrs 30 mins connection window.

However keep an eye on your schedule as changes are fairly common.

As an aside I assume you have your ESTA for the US.

UK
reviews: 87
2. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

I'd say even 230 is tight, and as Tom says, 130 wouldn't even come into my consideration, thats an almost guaranteed missed connection.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
3. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

Hi,

The other issue that I'm mindful of is that while I'm sure DL runs multiple daily from ATL to MCO, these flights (to MCO) tend to run very full as the Disney and like properties have a big draw..

So, while I suspect DL will find room for you somewhere on a later flight (if you miss your original connection) depending on day/time period of travel, you just may end up waiting a while.. Same issue can be found with US Mainland to Hawaiian Islands sectors.

As such, I'd be inclined to take the 2h 30m connection (of the two options presented) and consider any waited time and that come to be, as insurance against a possible difficult re-booking scenario.

Travel Safe,

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
reviews: 86
4. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

I agree with the posters above. 1.5 hours is not enough with Intl to domestic travel. In the winter it's cuttting it close for a domestic plane change.

atlanta
reviews: 31
5. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

I would go with the longer option, but just this week my 75 year old mother made a 90 minute international connection. So it is hardly the guaranteed failure implied on here

madeira
Destination Expert
for Funchal, Madeira, Madeira Islands
reviews: 29
6. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

We flew into Atlanta with Delta on our way to Florida, our flight was cancelled and we were scheduled on a differant flight to Florida - this was overbooked and the gate were asking for volunteers to stay over until the next day, I was begging the gate to get us on, we had had a long flight from CDG and the girls were tired and upset. Finally after some traumatic moments,they pushed us through and we flew on the last flight out, we were very well looked after, but be prepared for this type of delay.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Negril
reviews: 84
7. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

If you are on a Delta ticket all the way to Orlando you should be able to make the connection, follow the signs to your next connecting flight, ATL is a big airport but Delta will do everything they can to get you to your connecting flight and on it.

UK
reviews: 87
8. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

but just this week my 75 year old mother made a 90 minute international connection.

======

Does she have a US passport? And therefore not have to endure the 1hr+ immigration waits that tourists do?

Wigan, United...
reviews: 11
9. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

Thanks for all the advice. Will go for the 2hr 30min layover (if everything else pans out!)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
10. Re: Layover time in Atlanta

Good choice.

If your flight happens to arrive early and you clear C&I quickly, you might want to check with Delta right after customs (before you hand your bags back) to see if there would be space on the earlier flight for you. Once you hand in your bags, it will be too late to switch.