We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Missing second surname in flight ticket

UK
Missing second surname in flight ticket

Hi all. I've read many posts about people with missing middle names in flight tickets but what about people with double barreled surnames? In my case, my full name (as per my passport) is: AAA BBB CCC DDD where AAA is my name, BBB middle name, CCC and DDD surnames (no hyphen). I booked an international ticket but during the booking process I was not asked for my middle name or full name so I only booked it as: AAA CCC. Would this be an issue? The ticket was booked through an agency with KLM. Has anyone had this sort of problem? Can the name be ammended at the check in desk? Cancelling the ticket is just as expensive as trying to get the name changed. Getting the name changed is almost impossible anyway. Ahy help is much appreciated.

18 replies to this topic
Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

You will need your full surname and you will need to sort it before you get to the airport.

UK
reviews: 87
2. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

Does your passport show CCC DDD as your surname? If so, Houston you likely have a problem and your options are "wing it on the day" and "pay up now".

Have you tried phoning the airline to see if it can be changed?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 36
3. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

When you were asked for your surname was there enough room to put in the full length CCCDDD.

If there is no hyphen then why did you just put in part of your full surname?

It's a bit like some one called MacDonald just putting in Mac or Donald?

I agree with the others I don't think this will stand scrutiny

You might have got away with it if you had entered DDD as your surname and you could have persuaded the authorities that BBB and CCC were in fact middle names

All they are usually bothered about is the AAA and the DDD bits

Edited: 4:48 am, December 31, 2012
UK
reviews: 87
4. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

I think the only thing that matters is what his passport has.

Is it CCCC DDDD or just DDDD (presumably with BBBB CCCC in the middle names section in that case).

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

>but during the booking process I was not asked for my middle name or full name so I only booked it as: AAA CCC<

I've never seen a site that does not require a full surname. Surely it's common sense that where it states surname, it means your full surname, not the bit you like to use.

Either way, you have not entered your surname, for whatever reason, so yes it needs to be fixed.

Leuca, I think i read it more like,, the name, for example, is John Andrew SMITH JONES, and the op uses the name John smith, when in reality his name is actuallt John smith jones.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
6. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

Hi,

I agree with Joe.. When I worked at the main check-in counters, we were told and trained to compare the screen (your e-ticket) against that travel documents (passport) that was presented..

It's to this degree that I'd like to know how the OP's actual travel document reads.. I think this is the critical factor.

I also agree that so-called middle names (not every country or ethnic profile uses them or calls it as such) are not as much an essential component of the overall name match when compared to given (first) and family/surnames (last) ... but in today's higher security climate, name mismatches to any degree are largely something you'd be better off avoiding if at all possible.

If there was a discrepancy to any degree, we had to either correct it (if allowed to do so) or refer the matter to a higher level management person who made the final determination.

I'd try my absolute best to get it fixed before travel.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 5:03 am, December 31, 2012
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
reviews: 36
7. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

Froggy that's how I read it too

If your name is SMITHJONES

Then why enter just Smith or Jones

And I agree with Joe too

What is on your passport goes on your booking

Probably didnt write it all that well, first thing in the morning

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 17
8. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

Edgar--the BBB and CCC are going to be treated more as middle names than CCCC and DDDD being a double surname. It would seem to me that the DDDD is the MOST important part and you didn't fill it in. When you book a tcket the assumption is there that you are going to write your FULL name, not an abbreviation as such. I would be shocked if you did NOT have problems. I think you have to call this an expensive lesson and pay the fees to change the name. The fault is all yours.

UK
9. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

Thank you all. I managed to eventually cancel the ticket and get a full refund less an admin charge of £30 (bargain and happy as it was a non-refundable ticket!). I've rebooked the ticket directly with the airline and all names have been included. What did I learn? Never rush when booking flight tickets and use major travel agencies. Cheerio

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Missing second surname in flight ticket

I know this is an old thread, but just to give a piece of mind to other people searching this information:

My husband just had the same problem (he has two last names as many latinos) and only had one in his plane ticket. The airline would not add his second surname to the ticket (just offer us to buy a new one!!). Then we learnt for other latino friends that they always travel with just their first surname without any problem, so we didn't buy the new ticket. He had no problems at all with this, as long as your first name a your first surname are OK, it looks that you're safe. By the way he had a long flight with three connections and he had no problems with this issue neither in Canada nor USA nor Europe.

Reply to: Missing second surname in flight ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted