We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West to Manchester (UK)

Wigan, United...
reviews: 11
Key West to Manchester (UK)

As part of a holiday to the states we are thinking of flying back out of Key West (via Atlanta) to Manchester England and wondered if anyone has flown this route and what the experience was like

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

I've not flown this specific route but assume as it's via Atlanta that the flights will be with Delta.

The Key West to Atlanta leg will be fairly short and assuming you are in economy the Atlanta to Manchester leg will be fairly standard for a transatlantic flight with a US carrier.

I've flown TATL with all the major US carriers and Delta are my least favorite purely based on my last experience when the flight was oversold and it was touch and go as to whether we would get on it or not.

However every US airline has it's good/bad days and you should be ok.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
reviews: 98
2. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

Check in early for ATL to EYW flight. They limit the number passengers due to weight restrictions and do bump frequently because the airline overbooks .

Wigan, United...
reviews: 11
3. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

Not being a seasoned traveler Tom C97 the bit about the flight being oversold is that common? If so could do with doing a bit of research to be prepared. We are flying into Orlando for a few days and will be driving down to Key West so it will be EYW to ATL only

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

"Not being a seasoned traveler Tom C97 the bit about the flight being oversold is that common?"

Every airline will oversell on flights as they know that some people will cancel/rearrange flights so it limits the possibility of flying with empty seats.

The only time I've had a problem was several years ago when I was flying from Manchester to Fort Myers via Atlanta - on checking in at Manchester we couldn't get the boarding passes for the Atl to Fort Myers leg and were told to check at the gate in Atl.

The flight was obviously oversold and after several calls for volunteers to take another flight we eventually got on but it was stressful at the time - it was one of our first TATL flights and I'd be more relaxed about it now.

I'd still fly Delta if the route/price etc was right but they personally wouldn't be my first choice - it happens with every airline and not a lot you can do to prevent it.

South Jersey
reviews: 64
5. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

Be advised that Delta limits you to one checked bag flying in to our out of Key West.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
reviews: 1
6. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

Flights from Key West can be on Delta or Delta Connection. The Delta flights are on a newer 737, with economy Comfort seats, the DL Connection are on smaller regional jets (5XXX flight numbers). But both are decent rides to Atlanta.

As for overbooking, all airlines do it and they all have their formulas that they use for determining how many seats they can overbook. Due to my homebases, I find myself on Delta frequently (to the tune of some 100K miles this past year). Over the years I have encountered a few overbooked situations, most of the time they offer some form of compensation and folks volunteer to change flights. In the event they can't get volunteers, they tend to start at the bottom of the totem pole (cheapest most recently purchased ticket). As you would be connecting to a once a day international flight you would have higher priority and less likely to be bumped.

Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
reviews: 98
7. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

The flights to/from Key West on 737's are very weight limited. If you look at the seat maps, the last few rows are usually blocked out. They intentionally fly the plane less full to land and take off at the EYW airport's short runway. While all airlines bump, it's been my experience that it is more of a problem with EYW and Delta since they switched from CRJs to mainline jets. So, going home, check in on line right at the 24 hour mark prior to departure.

UK
reviews: 89
8. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

How about flying to Miami and then driving to and from KW? Its a very scenic drive.

Berkshire, England
reviews: 62
9. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

You may have a problem with luggage if you fly over from the UK with the international baggage allowance and then fly out from Key West.

As joeintheuk says, have you thought about flying in and out of Miami and drving down to Key West and back? It is a lovely drive.

Madrid
reviews: 7
10. Re: Key West to Manchester (UK)

The runway at Key West is rather short.Delta and American book their flights months in advance using predicted average temperatures,and as pointed out by WaupacaTravel often need to leave seats empty for landing and takeoff weight restrictions.The problems occur when the weather is hotter than average,and can lead to some people being bumped short term.It is also not predictable days or weeks in advance.

If you leave a little slack in your travel plans,you should be fine.There are worse places to be stuck for a few hours.