We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

Madison WI
reviews: 4
Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

Delta flights we're looking at for May 2013 travel have a 1 hr layover in Detroit, mid-afternoon, and a 2 hr layover in Amsterday. We will have no checked luggage. I've read some older posts on TA which say the 1 hr layover in Detroit is sufficient but from experience it sounds too tight. Any advice would be appreciated!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
1. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

For May, and since DTW is a Delta hub, I'd say you are safe on Detroit, as long as there are no delays. For Amsterdam, not sure - I've only taken trains there. This post suggests you'll be ok.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5513446…

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
2. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

Amsterdam will have no issues as long as your incoming flight is on time, and they are more often on time eastbound than they are westbound.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 194
3. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

You should be fine on both. DL is super efficient at DTW and AMS is simply one of best airports in the world. Frankly, too bad you don't have more time to just enjoy the airport shopping there.

Have fun.

UK
reviews: 83
4. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

I would be concerned about a 1 hour connection in any airport, anywhere.

Even if the gates are right next to each other, and even if you have no checked luggage, what about delays?

A 1 hour delay is trivial, what does your timing look like if you first flight into Denver is an hour late? When is the next flight to Amsterdam? Is there one an hour or two later, or is it the next day? If there is one a little later that day, will you get on it? If you do, will your carefully chosen seats be available (as if), or will you be put wherever there is space, perhaps each in the middle of a block of 5 and separated by 10 rows?

Edited: 2:36 pm, December 30, 2012
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
5. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

If you are outbound through DTW, one hour is fine. You might not get first shot at overhead space since international flights start boarding around an hour before departure. There are multiple DTW-AMS flights a day if you do misconnect. Arrival in DTW from AMS would not be enough time for immigration/customs.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 201
6. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

Earlier this month I flew reverse from Amsterdam to Detroit. We had a 3 1/2 hour lay-over in Detroit. We boarded our Amsterdam flight on time & then we stayed on the ground for four hours due to a variety of problems. Obviously we missed our connecting flight in Detroit. Regardless of how much time you structure it is difficult to protect yourself if your flight is delayed. Good news was that Delta had us re-booked when we landed. We got new boarding passes when we left our Amsterdam flight, and were out-bound on the next scheduled flight.

Madison WI
reviews: 4
7. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

Thanks all!! Now can you tell me if we'll see a Delta fare sale in the next month or so? Only partly kidding and no need to reply unless you've got inside info!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
8. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

The Delta fare sale will occur the day after you book your flght ;)

kentucky
reviews: 37
9. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

Bear in mind you will likely fly an RJ from Madison and may have a long walk to your AMS flight. Just deplane as quickly as possible. Your carry-on may have to be pink-tagged (gate checked) since the bins could be small. You may have to wait by the jetway to collect them. The walk is not bad since there are people movers, but you'll probably have to take the tunnel (great experience); just keep passing on the left and move quickly. I'd opt for a 2 hour connection if possible, just to be comfortable. As mentioned, there are several flts from DTW to AMS each day. Bon Voyage!

10. Re: Detroit and Amsterdam layovers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 05, 2014