We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connections in Zurich and Vienna

Swansea, United...
reviews: 63
Connections in Zurich and Vienna

Hi,

I am flying London Heathrow to Cairo stopping in Zurich (on the way there) and Vienna (on the way back).

Outbound both flights are with Swiss and the layover in Zurich is 1 hour 25 mins.

Inbound both flights are with Austrian Airlines and the layover in Vienna is 50 mins.

I have never connected flights. How would I find out which gates the aircraft are likely to be using so I can estimate how long it will take us to get to the gate.

Also, I take it I just go to the next gate rather than going through arrivals and checking back in?

Thanks

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
1. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

If you are travelling on one ticket, you will check in at your starting point.

You can check the flight status feature of your airline website to see where the planes arrive and depart for several days. This should give you an idea where they *tend* to arrive.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
2. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

When you arrive at Zurich/Vienna, follow the transfer signs. On the way you will see information displays with all departing flights incl. the latest gate information.

You most likely will get the boarding pass for the connecting flight already at check-in. There might be a preliminary gate information on it. This can change. Therefore you should check on the displays.

If you do not get the boarding pass at checkin (not very likely), look for the transfer information counter. They will assist you.

You may need to pass a security control.

Also on board they will make an announcement about the procedures and often the gate information for the connecting flights is displayed on the overhead monitors.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
3. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

Both Zurich and Vienna are quite small airports and very efficient so it won't be a problem just follow "Connecting flights" or "Transit" as you're going along you'll see departure boards; check to see what gate number your connecting flight leaves from and make your way there.

Swansea, United...
4. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

Great, thanks for the help!

I take it that 50 minutes is not too short of a transfer time then?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
5. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

yes, all good.

50 minutes should be just fine and in line with the airline's requirements to be able to get your luggage to the new flight as well. As mentioned, Vienna is not too large, but efficient.

As I assume these flights are on one booking, the airline takes responsibility, also in case of delays. The connecting flight would either wait for you or you would be booked on a later flight free of charge. There is only an issue if you book too flights separately or you explicitly insisted on a flight with connecting time than required by the airline (and agreed the airline will be no longer responsible for issues caused by short transfer times).

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 268
6. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

Also you won't have to pass border control or custom in Zurich or Vienna since you will remain in the non-Schengen area.

In Zurich, there is a fair chance you'll remain in terminal E. If not, not a big issue as there is a quick link between E and D. See zurich-airport.com/Portaldata/2/Resources/do… for the details.

Can't comment regarding Vienna since I haven't been there for a while now...

Enjoy Egypt!

NomadicForever
reviews: 13
7. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

I-ve recently travelled through Vienna. While it is a small airport, some ways are long and signposting could be clearer. They have security at the gate.

50 mins. can be tight depending on distance and security line. The airline should be able to advise on min. requirement for transit. Gates usually close 20 min. prior to dep.

Swansea, United...
8. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

Wow, great replies thanks!

9. Re: Connections in Zurich and Vienna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 05, 2014