We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

open jaw tickets

ramsey isle of man
reviews: 1
open jaw tickets

Is it ok say to book a ticket as follows and not join the journey till 2nd flight and leave on 1st leg of return.

AMS - Las vegas

Las Vegas - Brussels

goes like this

AMS to London City

London Gatwick to Las Vegas

return

Las vegas to Manchester uk

Manchester to Brussels

I would join in London and leave in Manchester.

Hope you can help.

Norfolk England
reviews: 74
1. Re: open jaw tickets

Hi

I am sure it has been said on here many times that if you do not board your flight the rest of your itinary is cancelled.

Clive

UK
reviews: 81
2. Re: open jaw tickets

No it's not OK. You have to use all flights in the order shown on the booking or subsequent ones will be cancelled.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
3. Re: open jaw tickets

<<Is it ok say to book a ticket as follows and not join the journey till 2nd flight and leave on 1st leg of return.>>

No. If you don't fly all legs in the sequence ticketed, all other flights will be cancelled.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
4. Re: open jaw tickets

Only on some expensive tickets you can do this (cancellation of legs) and I think this is not your intention to have the most flexible ticket irrespective of the price.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
5. Re: open jaw tickets

By the way... That is NOT an open jaw ticket. You are throwing away segments. The only reason you would ever do this is if you wanted to help boost the airline's bottom line without travelling anywhere.

READ the terms and conditions of the ticket you are considering purchasing. The Contract of Carriage may also be of interest.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 104
6. Re: open jaw tickets

I take it you think you'll be saving money by booking the above and skipping the first leg compared to just booking your itinerary starting in the UK?

As others have suggested this isn't allowed I'm afraid, and if you try it you will find it will cost you more as your original ticket will be cancelled and you will have to purchase a last minute walk up fare.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
7. Re: open jaw tickets

An open jaw is flying into once city and flying out of another.

(eg) LHR - LAS on the outbound, LAX - LHR on the inbound (single open jaw)

(eg)

London, United...
reviews: 22
8. Re: open jaw tickets

No, as soon as you don't turn up for the first leg, the whole thing will be cancelled, you will be a no show, on top of this, if you only did it on the return leg, your luggage will go all the way to the final destination ie Brussels..

The airline may also charge you for the actual route you took as opposed to the one you booked ie Vegas to Manchester.

The rule is ...if you book it you have to fly it, dropping cities to enable a cheaper flight is not permitted.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
9. Re: open jaw tickets

froggyEngland: You do not need to check the luggage to the final destination, but can without any problems only check it to the first destination. There is no penalty for this and I did not have problems with this.

If you check the luggage through andd you would not be on the plane for the last leg, the luggage would have to be unloaded according to safety regulations.

Even the last leg you could miss and find a reason for it. Usually the airlines prefer you tell them instead of checkin in and not showing up, but not a big deal for them.

froggyEngland is right, T&Cs are often saying the airline hast the right to re-calculate the fare price according to the actual rout you have taken. Never experienced that they really do it. Sometimes I used only the first leg of a return ticket.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
10. Re: open jaw tickets

"You do not need to check the luggage to the final destination, but can without any problems only check it to the first destination. There is no penalty for this and I did not have problems with this. "

As soon as you ask for the bags to be short checked you are more or less telling the airline that you intend not completing the full journey or "throw away " part of the ticket which increases the risk, in my view, of them repricing the ticket.