We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 34
Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

I have to get from Avignon, France to Istanbul, Turkey one-way on June 29, 2013, to start a Uni course on the afternoon of June 30. While cost is not absolutely critical, I'd like to do it as economically as possible and start my course feeling reasonably human. I could leave a day earlier if necessary. Because I'll be returning to Oz afterwards, I'll have 1 suitcase and carry-on.

The best deal I have seen is with

EASYJET for Eu132

Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg Dep Sat, 29 June 2013 22:30

Istanbul - Sabiha Gökçen Arr Sun, 30 June 2013 02:25

While this is do-able it looks like a real pain in the butt as I will need to get from Avignon to Mulhouse or Basel (presumably by train) earlier in the day. There must be a better way!

If I go this route, how do I get into Istanbul from the Airport and what are my options when I'm there.

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

According to Matrix, Air France has an early morning flight from Marseille to Istanbul on 28JUN and there appears to be Turkish Airlines flights direct from Nice to Istanbul on both 28/29JUN. Marseille and Nice are easily accessible from Avignon by train (TGV?).

NE Victoria...
reviews: 18
2. Re: Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

If you can leave on 28 June, there's a direct flight showing on skyscanner.net from Marseille with Air France for 90 euros. Leaves early though (7.20am).

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 34
3. Re: Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

Thx guys,

Flights on either 28 or 29th from Marseille or Nice are good.

Next problem!

I need to fly into South France from London on 15th June (with wife) and she needs to return to London the same day I leave, but not necessarily from the same airport (phew!). I could have her flying out from (say Marseilles earlier than me and I could then travel on to the other airport (Nice?) if that would work (but only if we arrived from LON at the second airport!).

We will also be hiring a car and picking it up from the airport on our arrival and dropping it off (presumably from where we pick it up to contain costs) when we go our various ways.

To complicate things, on 14 July my wife needs a flight LON - Florence (Pisa?) returning about 22/23 July and I need a single flight Florence-LON late on 26th July as we both fly out to Oz on Royal Brunei on 27th July (not negotiable!).

None of this is booked yet of course! I've never used either of the booking systems to which you refer so could you pls let me know what my options are (with costs if possible!) (8-)) Or, could I do this myself?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
4. Re: Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

Use www.skyscanner.net to look for possible flights, then make your booking direct with the airline of your choice.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 73
5. Re: Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

OK Easyjet from LGW to MRS would be the best bet for both of you. Looks like around £110 round trip including bag and fees and timings are good especially on the way back if you take the Air France 07:20 to Istanbul as Easyjet fly back to LGW at 10:20. Would work for the car rental also and MRS is a small (if pretty crappy) airport.

6. Re: Provence (FR) to Istanbul (TU)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 05, 2014