We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours transit in Paris

Abu Dhabi, Abu...
reviews: 1
6 hours transit in Paris

I`m going to Netherlands from Dubai with 6 hours transit in CDG 2E ,can I go out for short visit to The Louver

Edited: 2:29 pm, December 29, 2012
London, United...
reviews: 23
1. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

Ehrm, why would you want a six hour transit in CDg, that's just crazy,,it only takes about 3 hours on the train between Paris and Netherlands...and you can do it much much cheaper than any flight,

Just fly to Paris, get off, explore, then catch the train to holland.

Edit, unless flight already booked,then ask if you can change it.

Edited: 2:37 pm, December 29, 2012
Abu Dhabi, Abu...
2. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

Thanks, but flight already booked and the change cost is too much

Boston...
reviews: 12
3. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

Mohamed, this question is often asked on the Paris board. It's ill-advised at best. If you do attempt it, make certain you have enough open credit on your card for a walk-up fare to your onward destination, as the airline is under no obligation to get you there if you miss your flight.

I've cut and pasted this chestnut from the Paris forum. The regular who wrote it knows her business:

Here are the generally-agreed-upon guidelines that you need before you even think about this (but I agree -- 6.5 hours just isn't enough time)

1) Ensure that you are ticketed through, and that your bags are checked all the way to your destination. Plan so that you do not have any carryon luggage.

2) Make sure you understand that you have to be back at the airport with enough time to go back through security before they close check-in for your flight. If you leave the airport of your own volition, you also relieve the airline(s) of all responsibility for honoring your onward ticket. They can and will cancel your onward ticket ..and possibly even your return schedule if you miss your flight because you chose to leave the airport. Last-minute, one-way, walk-up fares are expensive and cause no end of security hassles.

3) Make sure you study the RER/Metro map and the map of the city so that you know *exactly* where you are going, and *exactly* how to navigate the ticket-purchase system and the transport. Having a supply of euros before you arrive in Paris will help -- or you'll have to subtract the time necessary to find an ATM along the way.

4) You will need at least an hour to get off of the plane, through customs and immigration (even without luggage) and to the RER station that will take you into the city. Count another hour to get into the city and another hour to get back to the airport. (taxi and bus aren't valid options on this sort of trip, as they are subject to traffic jams). You'll need to be back at the airport 1-1/2 to 2 hours before departure so that you have ample time to get through security and out to your gate. (you now have used 5 hours out of your 6.5) These times are a little liberal, but I'm figuring that at some point someone will need to pee or tie their shoes...if that means you miss one of the RERs returning to the airport, it could easily cost you any extra time built into this estimate.

5) Keep an eye on your watch at all times and be prepared to abort the trip into the city at the first indication that something is going off track. 7 hours is the absolute minimum that this forum recommends for even considering a trip into the city....and even then it's with some skepticism.

Abu Dhabi, Abu...
4. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

Thanks HappyGoin, I'll follow your plan but what about returning to Departure airport do I have to use the same process in check in

Boston...
reviews: 12
5. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

If you're ticketed through, you only need to go through security. But don't discount the fact that the security lines at CDG can easily be 60-90 minutes long.

If your risk-tolerance is up for this, which is insane, I strongly recommend that you have that credit card ready to purchase a walk-up fare.

I do so wish people would come back and tell us how they fared. They never do, which leads me to believe they're rarely successful.

Edited: 3:46 pm, December 29, 2012
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 91
6. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

Is there such a thing as a "short visit to the Louve"?

Highly advise against even trying this. Adding to all the above, the lines at the Louve can be long and it can be very crowded. Please come back and post how it went.

London, United...
reviews: 23
7. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

I'm sorry, but the whole thing is crazy. It's like saying when I flew to Dubai I was in transit at Abu Dhabi for 6 hours waiting for my connecting flight, instead if just getting a private car.

If you really want to do the louvre, and I agree it's totally insane in this timeframe, then buy your tickets in advance, thats the only advice I can give, other than:

A/ try to change your flight ticket so your flight ends at Paris.

B/ don't do the louvre.

C/ get a longer connection time and do the louvre, it's huge, you need at least a full morning there, but even a whole day would not even cover it ( and it is worth doing)

Illinois
reviews: 16
8. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

Another thing to consider is that if you miss your flight from CDG to the Netherlands, they will likely cancel your flight from the Netherlands home and you will need to repurchase (at higher one way prices). I expect if the change fee is too high for you, the new ticket will be even more too high.

Abu Dhabi, Abu...
9. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

You All are true but even I have changed to Netherlands direct and Paris at the End my Schengen visa issued from France and the travel agency told me that I have to go to France firs

Edited: 4:58 pm, December 29, 2012
Illinois
reviews: 16
10. Re: 6 hours transit in Paris

Do you mean that you have to enter the Schengen zone in France before you are allowed to go to the Netherlands? Won't you have to enter Schengen when you land in CDG whether you go into Paris or not?