We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing flight prices!

London, United...
reviews: 29
Changing flight prices!

Hello,

Hopefully someone to help me!

I am looking to book in January for a friend and I to visit Las Vegas, the cheapest I saw a flight and hotel package was £680 back in october but we didnt have enough money back then. We are hoping to book now around the end of Jan for a may trip but the price seems to just keep on increasing.

Does anyone know if the price of flights are likely to drop in Jan?

Edited: 3:56 am, December 29, 2012
UK
reviews: 90
1. Re: Changing flight prices!

Does anyone know if the price of flights are likely to drop in Jan?

=====

No, no one knows.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Changing flight prices!

Go to the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page, and read the article "What's with these screwy ticket prices? Buy now or later?" That may help enlighten you as to how ticket prices work.

As I understand it, both Virgin and BA have sales on right now. So there may be good deals to be had. Otherwise, look at one stops on the US carriers, though be careful to allow plenty of time between connecting flights at your port of entry to the US as you have to clear immigration and customs there (at least 3 hours).

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 159
3. Re: Changing flight prices!

The sales are on now but usually the nearer the flight time the higher the price becomes so I doubt the price will come down as we are practically in January.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
4. Re: Changing flight prices!

Current prices for direct flights with BA for random dates in May are around £750 which I think are on the high side. You can get indirect flights with the likes of United for around £670 but it takes longer.

May is a popular month in Las Vegas as it includes the UK Bank Holidays in that month as well as Memorial Day which is a major US holiday.

As stated nobody knows whether fares will increase/decrease but you might want to visit your local travel agent or search expedia if you're looking for a flight/hotel package. The packages can sometimes work out as a better deal.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 125
5. Re: Changing flight prices!

I think we would like to know when flight prices will be at their cheapest.

Generally speaking, flight prices increase the closer you get to departure date, but you can always gamble by hoping there will be a sale with sale prices either matching or hopefully cheaper than booking well in advance.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Agios Gordios
reviews: 12
6. Re: Changing flight prices!

You can get a week in LV with flights and hotel, on the strip, with expedia, just did a random date in May and its around £720. That was from Heathrow.

http://www.expedia.co.uk/

London, United...
7. Re: Changing flight prices!

Thank you all for your replies.

The trip Im looking at (6 night at the end of may) is currently at around the £880 mark for the hotel I want (NYNY) with a BA/Virgin direct flight. Stop overs seem to be no more than 2 hours which is no good.

I usually book a lot earlier than this but trusted someone who claimed to be a seasoned traveller saying that they always book in January as flight prices drop this time of year. Judging by the prices I am getting this was bad information and could ruin my holiday plans.

I guess I will continue to check expedia as I have been doing for the last 6 months and if need be book with a travel agent so that the whole balance does not need to be paid in one go.

thank you for your time everyone :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
8. Re: Changing flight prices!

Prices may drop or not. There is no law. That is why this is different all the time. If it was the case for 5 yrs, it can be different this year.

I saw many promotions for that direction now. Maybe some more coming up. Fingers crossed!

UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: Changing flight prices!

If you find a price on Expedia please make sure to check BA/VS sites direct, they also offer deals when booking flight and hotels. You will find it better if any problems to have booked direct with them rather than a third party.

London, United...
10. Re: Changing flight prices!

thanks for the tip, I did actually check the virgin site yesterday and it came out as a lot more expensive than on expedia, I didn't think to check with BA though.

Get answers to your questions