We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

Adelaide, Australia
Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

Hi Guys,

My daughter booked some internal flights with Vietnam Airlaines online & the total cost came out of her account on the same daybut she has just noticed that another similar amount has been taken out of her account 2 days after the original payment was taken out

I rang their office in Melbourne & they said that because the flights were booked online direct with VA that we would have to contact them. I have sent an email but so far had no response.

The card was a Mastercard Debit card

Has this happened to anyone else??

Thanks for any help in advance

Cheers Rob

UK
reviews: 81
1. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

First of all, minus several million points for using a debit card, because now she has to fight to get her money back, whereas with a credit card, that money is not gone from her bank account.

I suggest she contacts her bank and challenges one of the payments, pointing out two identical debits.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

Debit cards in Australia have much the same protections as credit cards when it comes to fraudulent transactions.

She should raise a formal dispute with her bank.

Adelaide, Australia
3. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

Thanks for the slap on the wrist & the advice :>))

Her account has returned to normal!!

Maybe it was the email we sent to VA but for 12 hours she was $500 in the red so made shopping difficult as she found out while shopping.

We will take the Visa advice on board, thanks

Cheers Rob

London
reviews: 73
4. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

This has happened to me before on American. Booked 2 tickets with a credit card for around $400 each, and an item for $800 appeared in the "pending" section of my credit card (when checking online).

The next day, two $400 items appeared in addition to the $800.

Around two days after this, the original $800 item disappeared.

Not the end of the world - I wasn't charged twice, but I was down $800 of my credit limit for 2 days. I guess with a debit card, this could have been more of a problem.

Adelaide, Australia
5. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

This seems to be what hapened.It's a bit scarey for a 20 Y/O girl who is out shopping & all of a sudden is minus $500 & is getting her card refused.

Cheers Rob

UK
6. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

This may be the difference in the way holds are applied between debit and credit cards, if they are applying a hold as part of the transaction. First thy apply a hold, then the real transaction, then release the hold.

With a credit card you never normally notice the hold because it doesn't appear on any statements, you may notice it if it affects your creit limit.

With a debit card they can't do that so they take the money away and then give it back but in the meantime it's your money that's gone!

Regards protection being the same between credit and debit cards in Oz that wasn't my point, my point was, as sbove, with a debit card, that money's still gone from your bank and worst case it could cause issues such as bouncing mortgage payments, whatever, and you have to fight to get it back. With a credit card,that money has not left your bank account and so you are buffered from any immediate consequences .

As an example, last year on my credit card BA put a hold on £1500 as well as a debit for the same amount, which took a week to be released due to a mess up on their part . Had that been a debit card, my bank balance would have been down £1500 for a week. A different thing entirely!

Edited: 4:13 am, December 29, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
7. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

hI joeintheuk,

Thanks for your advice

A lesson learned & lucky it all turned out OK.

Credit card or PayPal from now on. :>))

Cheers Rob

London
reviews: 73
8. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

It's a bit naughty on the airlines fault if your account goes below zero (or over overdraft limit). Some banks fine you for that. (or would they realise that it was a hold and show a bit of leniency?)

Adelaide, Australia
9. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

The amount appears & puts her account below zero & then disappears the next day but caused problems as the Debit card is refused once below zero.

Cheers Rob

UK
10. Re: Double charge from Vietnam Airlines for flight tickets

It's a bit naughty on the airlines fault if your account goes below zero (or over overdraft limit). Some banks fine you for that.

----

This a tough one, whilst It's the responsibility of the person making the payment to ensure they have enough money in their account, most people would be unawares that airlines often make a hold and a charge, in effect a double charge for a short period.

They should at least warn you that if you use a debit card, you may see a double payment for a short period of time and you should have enough money in your account to cover that.

Car rental companies can operate in a similar fashion and often will not accept debit cards because of this.