We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

reviews: 4
Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

Hi all,

I wonder if any of you can assist

I've booked a flight plus hotel room for a surprise break for my wife's 40th birthday with Expedia uk last week and have been told by email today that my flight has been cancelled. The flight was through condor and operated by thomas cook and was on sale on their website at the same time for the same price as Expedia. However as I got a discount on the room if I booked that with Expedia as well I decided to book with them.

Now I understand that flights get cancelled and these things do happen, what I don't understand is that the flight is still for sale on condor and Thomas cooks website, same flight numbers and all but at twice the price.

I'm now left with either having to pay £600 more for the same trip that I already booked in good faith and which appears not to be cancelled or having to cancel the whole booking and go for a cheaper destination.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
1. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

Don't rebook the same cancelled flight. Sometimes flights/cruises/hotels show up as still available on third party sites when they aren't.

Have you tried calling Condor or Thos Cook to verify cancellation?

New York City, New...
2. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

Hmmm...I'm thinking they put out the wrong price due a system error or who knows what....realized their mistake and cancelled the tickets, not the flight. That's my guess...it's unfortunate, but you will have to book another ticket or find another destination. All that matters is you have a great time with your wifey :). I've never used this Thomas Cook but if this is a regular practice I'd stop booking deals with them. Goodluck

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
3. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

I'm with nadrah I also believe they priced it wrong and have cancelled the bookings with the old price, there's not much you can do about it but I would out of principal definitely not re-book at the higher price check out other companies. where exactly were you planning on going and when?

norfolk
reviews: 30
4. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

excuse me? why stop booking with thomas cook when the shonky behaviour, if tht is what it is, was by EXPEDIA?

check with the actual operator of the flight.

pam

UK
reviews: 88
5. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

If its as you described,that the flight has not been cancelled by the operator, then I'd go to trading standards and also consider a small claims case because once they accepted your booking you have a contract with them.

I would first check with Condor though, as to if this flight can be booked. The fact it's on a website doesn't mean it exists.

reviews: 4
6. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

Thanks all.

Trip was for las Vegas flying from Manchester and staying at the MGM grand. The frustrating thing is I booked direct with the airline first at the same rate and my card got blocked due to my credit card company classing the transaction as suspicious. Before I rebooked I had seen the Expedia deal and went with that.

The whole episode leaves a real sour taste in my mouth. Vegas had always been a dream trip for us that we could never afford without sacrificing our family holiday. My wife's 40th gave me the excuse to let go a bit on the budget and if we can't get this rate then it will remain a dream for the time being.

I'll contact the airline as you suggest and see what I find before I go any further.

Thank you

australia
reviews: 17
7. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

The frustrating thing is I booked direct with the airline first at the same rate and my card got blocked due to my credit card company classing the transaction as suspicious. Before I rebooked I had seen the Expedia deal and went with that.

Ring the airline you may still have a seat....the first booking may have been sitting in the system and they think the second one is a duplicate and cancelled it in error.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
reviews: 109
8. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

check with Condor/Thomas Cook hotline if the flight really is cancelled. If not, insist on the deal @Expedia, if yes ask Expedia for an alternative for the same price.

If you have enough time, sue one or both companies for advertising non available flights.

The bad think is it ruined your great idea. I hope it will work out for you at the and with a nice trip to a nice destination!

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
9. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

Just check on Thomas Cook website whether the flight is still on sale, and if they are selling packages for that date. They don't do a lot of Vegas flights, and they don't usually get cancelled as they are linked to package holidays.

10. Re: Flight cancelled but still on sale -help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, December 07, 2013