We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Immigration at JFK

hyde
Immigration at JFK

Hi,

I arrive from NewDelhi in JFK at 0630 on 01jan2013.I have my connection flight for Cleveland at 1130 same day at LGA.I would like to know how many int'nl flights would be arriving at that time in JFK because the number is directly proportional to the time taken for immigration

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 51
1. Re: Immigration at JFK

There's no way of knowing how long it'll take you to clear immigration. Some flights will be late, some will be one off charters, some will be early. I've arrived at some airports dozens of times off the exact same flight and it can either be instant clearance or there's an hour line. That was until I got Global Entry.

Given it's New Year's Day you might find a lower than number number of CBP officers on staff.

hyde
2. Re: Immigration at JFK

OP2002 ,Thank you

Marietta, Georgia
reviews: 11
3. Re: Immigration at JFK

I'd be more worried about changing terminals and getting through security AGAIN.

Sometimes things happen, but I wouldn't worry too much about making that connection in JFK. 4 hours is plenty of time. If you had 2 hrs, it is still possible, just a little tighter.

Boston...
reviews: 124
4. Re: Immigration at JFK

Make sure you have a plan for switching from JFK to LaGuardia:

panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airport-connections.…

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
reviews: 48
5. Re: Immigration at JFK

"Sometimes things happen, but I wouldn't worry too much about making that connection in JFK. 4 hours is plenty of time. If you had 2 hrs, it is still possible, just a little tighter."

The OP is not transferring to another flight at JFK. He's going from JFK to LaGuardia. No way to do that in 2 hours.

Canada
reviews: 56
6. Re: Immigration at JFK

For the last few days, there has been an average of 5 international flights arriving between 6 and 645am.

Normally I find that most times there are not even gates available and sometimes you sit for 1/2 hr but at that time it may be better.

Keep in mind , that there will be retina scans for non-US and Cdns and this may hold people up!.

Take a taxi to LGA instead of a shuttle (around $45)- those NY taxi drivers are great at getting you there on time!

White Plains, New...
reviews: 76
7. Re: Immigration at JFK

Here's are the historical wait times, just select the airport and terminals. Keep in mind, these are just historical and at any given day and time, it could vary depending upon the number of passengers and arrivals. 5 hours should be sufficient time to transfer from an international flight arriving JFK and a domestic flight departing from LGA.

http://apps.cbp.gov/awt/

UK
reviews: 89
8. Re: Immigration at JFK

Keep in mind , that there will be retina scans for non-US and Cdns and this may hold people up!.

-----------

Retina scans ?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 18
9. Re: Immigration at JFK

Looking at the chart--I am not convinced. Average means there are faster and there are slower. All I know is the last few times that I have come in a 6AM, I have significantly contributed to the longer wait side of the average. It CAN be done, but you need to make sure you move and are totally and completely focused. The thing that scares me too--is traffic. THE best cabbie can only do so much. Between construction, rush hour etc. etc. I see an hour between airports. ( and I live midway so I drive the roads constantly)

Columbus, Ohio
10. Re: Immigration at JFK

You should be fine time wise, if you fill all the required paperwork correctly, there will be hardly any traffic on grand central from JFK to LGA. Once at LGA, you should know, what to do and where to go, without wasting time. No one prefer to fly 1 Jan at 630am, so airports will be almost empty.

Edited: 1:01 pm, December 21, 2012