We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

The last scheduled LGW service operated by a US carrier, Gatwick-Charlotte, ends on March 29 2013. US is switching that service to Heathrow from March 30.

http://bit.ly/ZQeVOL

Edited: 3:52 pm, December 19, 2012
27 replies to this topic
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

I assume this will make it easier to make connections via LHR with Star Alliance partners to other European airports.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
2. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

I do miss the old LGW days with CO.

I wouldn't look to see US be in ^A much longer given their progress in merger talks with AA.

Edited: 4:17 pm, December 19, 2012
San Diego...
3. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

Glad to see that I have another route back to London from SAN. My in-laws live in the north of London, so LGW was always a pain to get to and from, therefore we usually take the SAN-PHL-LHR routing. Now with CLT being an option for routing, I would most likely favor CLT over PHL as far as stopovers are considered. I would rather have a longer TATL leg (with lie flat seats) and shorter domestic leg on the CTL route, vs a longer domestic and shorter TATL segments on the PHL route. In addition, the weather at CLT is more likely to be co-operative at the times I usually fly to the UK and CLT immigration also has a separate green card holders line, which usually helps speed up transit time too.

As far as US Air and Star Alliance, if they do merge with AA and switch to one world, then I'll have an additional flight option as I could then use the direct BA SAN-LHR and accrue the Dividend miles that way. I'd have to stop using United though , but after my SAN-IAH-MIA trip last week, that may be no big loss.

San Diego...
4. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

Turns out CLT might not be such a viable option after all. The single scheduled SAN-CLT day flight gets into CLT too late in the day to make the CLT-LHR flight, which means I would have to either take the redeye the previous evening and hang about CLT for 14hrs or so, or get up at oh-dark-thirty and catch a flight to PHX and then take a connection to CLT in order to make the TATL connection. I think I might just stick with the SAN-PHL-LHR routing on the way over.

Flight times work on the way back, but the LHR-CLT flight departs 2 hrs before the LHR-PHL flight and has a 4 hour layover vs a 2.5 hrs layover for PHL meaning that both routes arrive back in SAN within about 20 mins of each other, Staying in bed 2 hrs later wins over getting there 20 mins early!

Stowmarket
reviews: 3
5. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

We live North East of London, and to reach Heathrow we endure the M25 from A12 ( JCT 28). If I had the choice I would prefer Gatwick any time in preference to Heathrow.

Unfortunately, majority of travellers seem to prefer Heathrow, so now no options to the US from Gatwick.

Next flight will be from Birmingham, by way of an experiment. Travel time approx. 21/4 Hrs. Heathrow is 2hrs. but M25 is unrekiable and extra time is needed in event of 'accidents'.

Cary, North Carolina
reviews: 105
6. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

This sucks. My sister lives 10 min from LGW and 2+ hrs (in rush hour) from LHR.

We used to have the AA RDU-LGW service which was perfect, but the US Airways service was good as well. Looks like DL have abandoned LGW as well and the only service I know of now is BA via Tampa. 2 hours south to fly back over RDU does not make sense

Grrrr!!

London UK
7. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

This sucks for me too. I live right beside LGW and its really convenient. There are now no USA flights from there. Its particularly galling as I am booked to fly LGW-CLT-LGW departing on March 25th and returning on April 7th. I have just checked my booking on the US website and the return leg has been altered to LHR.

Now lets just see if US Air are actually going to inform me of this change as there has been no word from them yet.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 40
8. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

Pity. As someone who lives south of LGW, while I was never a fan of CO, that LGW - CLT flight was a delight with much easier to negotiate airports at either end. It sure beat flying into ATL for any destination in northern GA or the Carolinas.

SWT

Cary, North Carolina
reviews: 105
9. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

Thanks. Do you know if there are any other non stop LGW - eastern USA flights now or are they all done

Thanks

Andy

London UK
10. Re: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013

At present no, there are none.

Reply to: US Airways to end Gatwick service on March 29, 2013
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted