We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 53
Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

I'm travelling from Melbourne to Cancun via LAX. My flight from LAX to Cancun is on United departing from Terminal 7/8. Given the long journey I wish to take a shower between flights.

The best option I've found given I've got a relatively short layover is at the Delta lounge in T5 which has showers.

I found an article from 2008 indicating that passengers can travel between T5, 6, 7 and 8 using underground tunnels situated after security screening, which would work brilliantly. flyingcritic.com/travel/…tunnel-between.html

Can anyone advise if this is still possible or have things changed?

it's not clear from the maps on the LAX website if it's possible.

I'm assuming that if I hold a United boarding pass, I will not be able to use it to go through security screening in T5 where the lounge is located?

thanks

8 replies to this topic
Australia
reviews: 28
1. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

msmegmog

Yes that tunnel is still there - I used it a month ago to go wandering while waiting for a flight. The photos in the link show the tunnel - in fact I took a very similar photo. There was a guy in one of those golf buggies offering to drive people on end to the other - its like something out of a 1950's cold war movie.

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

Thanks. Looks like there may even be a golf buggy at the foot of an escalator in one of those shot's

Combining the photos and the maps on the LAX website - it's not clear where to go to access 6,7,8.

does the tunnel just continue on once you reach terminal 5? Or do you have to go back up into the terminal area, then down another escalator?

I'll be taking the tunnel from the opposite direction to the website instructions so just trying to get my head around it (bearing in mind I'll be jetlagged!)

Australia
reviews: 28
3. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

I don't understand what you are asking....From what I remember the tunnel terminates at 5 ie doesn't continue anywhere.

The photos/ instructions sum it all up very well regarding access to either end of the tunnel.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

>> Combining the photos and the maps on the LAX website - it's not clear where to go to access 6,7,8.<<

The website looks clear to me. The tunnel connects T5 to T6. From there, terminals 6, 7 and 8 are connected air side with a walkway above ground at concourse level.

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

yeah it's the bit about 7 and 8 being above ground I wasn't clear about given it's not mentioned in the instructions (just they are connected), and i've never been in those terminals before.

Gold Coast...
reviews: 12
6. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

I would love to see those Pics of the Tunnels as I will there soon and need to get from Terminal 5 to Terminal 8 coming of a Virgin flight going to a United flight

Gold Coast...
7. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

Looking for the Hidden Tunnels at LAX (Los Angeles)

flyingcritic.com/travel/…tunnel-between.html this will explain everything

they connect terminals 5-6-7-8

Gold Coast...
8. Re: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8

I was just in Los Angeles LAX and ask for directions to the TUNNEL so I could get terminal 7

OH NO SIR THERE ARE TUNNELS DOWN HERE. ....... TAKE THE SHUTTLE ..... either he was new

Or didn't know of the tunnels OR told to DENY EVERYTHING ...... ANY WAY I TOOK THE SHUTTLE

Reply to: Accessing LAX Terminal 5 from Terminal 7/8
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted