We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

London, United...
How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

Hi, tomorrow i'm flying LIS-DXB at 18:00.

The problem is my train doesn't arrive in Lisbon until 16:22, this leaves me 8 minutes to taxi to the airport and check in my luggage (It should take about 7 minutes, but clearly I won't get to check in before 16:30) I have already completed check in online and printed my boarding pass, just need to check in 1 bag.

Does anyone know what will happen if I'm say 10-15 minutes late for the 90 minute deadline, will they take my bag anyway?

If not i'll still take the flight and pack what I can in my carry on bag and leave the rest, but i'd rather find out now if that's the case and I can leave it with a friend.

Thanks if anyone has advice.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

EK are usually strict at closing check in at the cut off mark.

It's not only the baggage that has to be loaded, but paper work also has to be completed.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
2. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

Pretty much any airline/airport is now strict on deadlines like that. Not worth pushing.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 132
3. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

Don't risk it. You won't get lucky.

Sydney/Melbourne
reviews: 47
4. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

The thing is, that even if Emirates weren't that strict on most flights most of the time, and let's say they let you check in late 80% of the time - there's always the chance that for some reason on the day you fly, on your flight, the check in agent will play it by the book. Are you willing to take the chance?

Another thing to remember is that you haven't turned up by the time check in closes, you could well be declared a 'no show' and your seat given to someone else.

I'd be getting a later flight or an earlier train.

Edited: 2:14 am, December 13, 2012
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
reviews: 184
5. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

You are not even 100% sure if the train will arrive 16:22 as like any other transportation options they are also prone to delays.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
6. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

"Another thing to remember is that you haven't turned up by the time check in closes, you could well be declared a 'no show' and your seat given to someone else."

The OP will have already checked in online, he just needs to drop a bag.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
7. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

Most of the times I have flown EK they insist on printing boarding passes at check in - even if you have checked in online.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
8. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

< The OP will have already checked in online, he just needs to drop a bag. >

Doesn't stop him being a no-show.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
reviews: 9
9. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

EK check-in closes 60-mins prior departure. They advise passengers to arrive at least 90-mins before the flight.

I assume that you will arrive at Gare do Oriente? Even though the airport is close by, you need to consider the evening peak road traffic and the taxi queue.

London, United...
10. Re: How strict are Emirates about checking baggage late

Thanks for the replies. As I said I have already checked in online, and printed my boarding pass. This means I just need to be at the gate on time to board the flight.

The issue is I have 1 piece of luggage I want to check in, and here:

emirates.com/english/…

It says you must arrive 90 minutes before departure to check in luggage.

I hope they will take it even if I am a bit late, I should definitely be there 60 minutes before departure. ^

Yes I will be arriving at Gare do Oriente, thanks for the reminder about traffic. To be honest I will try to get an earlier train but I'm not sure it will be possible.

Edited: 4:58 am, December 13, 2012