We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

Greenville, New...
5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

So I'm spending 5 weeks in Shanghai studying at Fudan University and I am trying to find the best airline. I'm taking into account price, comfort, and baggage allowance (I pack heavy).

I'm leaning towards Air France's PV as of now because of the baggage allowance. In anyone's opinion, is the leg room and baggage allowance worth the increase and price and supposedly harder seats? I'm not too worried about food (I am a college student) and I am 5'6" in case you know if economy would be sufficient room for my height.

I've only flown from the Boston area to Florida and to Texas so I don't have experience with really long flights or having to pack a lot of things.

surrey
reviews: 25
1. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

How is BA's premium economy pricing out for your dates. The checked in luggage allowance may be similar but BA's carry on allowance is a lot more generous - they allow 23kgs - the only stipulation is that you need to be able to lift it into the overhead locker yourself. You could put your books in your carry on as they would I imagine be some of the heaviest things you'll be taking.

You would then be connecting in London and may be able to get a BA flight from there from an airport closer to your home.

Don't pack your bags up to the maximum allowance on the way out anyway as you may want to do some shopping when you're there. The best thing we bought there was a silk filled duvet - a super king size weighing 2kgs - this was intended to be our summer weight one and it was great for then - not too hot. However we still have it on our bed and the temperature here for the last few nights was below freezing and it was stll toasty.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 132
2. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

You're only going there for 5 weeks, and things are very cheap in China, so don't pack things that you can replace cheaply in China. If your shoe size is above, say, 38 (maybe you call this size 8?), prioritise shoes. Think along these lines and you will be fine with 20-23kg.

Check skyscanner.net, an airfare search engine, for cheap fares and carriers.

Greenville, New...
3. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

I know I'll be doing a lot of shopping since my mom is fascinated by Asian culture and has already said she wants things. I did read that my sizes may/may not be available in all the trendy clothes that I'd like to buy but I'm sure I'll find things.

I just checked BA and it's $1000 more expensive with a 2 connecting flights (one in Chicago and one in London) on my outbound flight and I'm not sure I could lift 23kgs above my head. Plus, that extra connecting flight increases my change of baggage being lost.

I'll look into skyscanner.net

1060 W Addison...
reviews: 8
4. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

Don't stress over "supposidly harder seats."

As for baggage, figure out how much stuff you are bringing. Every airline will carry it all. Just add the baggages fees to the ticket price before you buy.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 132
5. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

I know some carriers, like Emirates and Qatar, give 30kg for economy passengers, but I don't think this fits with your route.

Another idea is to visit a *good* (unfortunately there are a lot of ones who have no idea) travel agent and see if they can find you a student fare or something with extra luggage... eg, on an upcoming flight to Europe, my agent managed to somehow get me an economy ticket with 30kg luggage allowance on a carrier that usually offers only 20kg. Good luck, let us know how you go.

Greenville, New...
6. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

Thanks for all the help. I did look into Emirates and it's cheaper by a few hundred dollars or so when comparing AF's economy and their economy. Also, the timing of the flights matches up better because my program ends the 13th of July and AF only has flights out of Shanghai around 10am each day and I'm not yet sure if I have things that day that I can't miss. Emirates has flights leaving at around 11pm so I wouldn't have to worry about getting a hotel for that night if I can't leave school till after AF's flight.

I'm not purchasing tickets yet as I'm still going through the approval process for the program and such. I have to send in my transcripts including this semester but I'll check back in ones there is progress relating to my travels (don't want to bore you with class choices and such).

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
7. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

I just returned from Asia myself, and highly recommend Asiana Airlines (Korea) for comfort, value and economy, but the very best thing about Asiana is the awesome on-board service in economy. Connect with Asiana in JFK or ORD - you won't be sorry.

(I took Air France last year to Istanbul, and there is no comparison - Asiana is far superior)

8. Re: 5 week trip from Boston to Shanghai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 20, 2013